MCF Website Problems & Issues This area is for problems or suggestions relating specifically to the MCF site, not the car.

No Radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 08:50 AM
Default No Radio

Okay guys i'm back for more help. I just had the transmission replaced on my 01 V6 Monte SS. The owner of the shop called me the day it was fixed and told me they were having problems getting it started. He told me that they called in a "computer guy". Now my car is running and accelerating like it was before my transmission problems but my radio doesnt work. If i hit the display button i can get the time to display for a few seconds before it goes back off. The interior lights and headlights are normal but the "check battery" light is on. Any ideas?

Old 04-18-2014, 08:52 AM

Also, it didnt do this before the transmission was rebuilt

Old 04-18-2014, 08:56 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Battery could need replaced. Also There is a wiring harness with a plug down next to the coolant reservoir that im having an issue with the wires burning out. The radio is very picky about its voltages and current. Check that harness to see if you have damage. Thats my experience with the radio doing out.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:06 AM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Check the battery and the wiring too. You could also have loose connections.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:28 AM

ok im gonna go check that. Im just praying its not the BCM. After paying for a tranny rebuild i dont have the money lol

Old 04-18-2014, 12:35 PM

Havent gotten the battery yet but i took it to the car wash to rinse the pollen off. When i tried to leave i couldnt get it to start. When i tried to crank it all i got was that clicking sound. Luckily a guy gave me a boost. On my way back home (3 or 4 miles away) the lights started to dim and the car slowed down like it was losing power (after sitting at a long red light). Then the lights suddenly got bright and the power picked back up. It died seconds after i made it home and put it in park. I didnt even get my window all the way up. The lights wont come on now either so i guess it really is the battery.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Battery or alternator. Have them both tested at AutoZone.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by dbaldwin
X2!!!

not in my monte but a few years ago my s10 broke down about 3 hours south of home, threw a brand new duralast gold in thinking it was the issue at hand but as soon as i got home the battery light came on again. had to replace the alternator. The new battery had just enough juice in it to get me back home thankfully. Never had to do it on the monte but i could imagine it being easy since you just need a wrench to loosen the belt and slide it off to replace alternator. You'll notice a huge difference when cold starting/idling your car after replacement.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:26 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

OK first. From what you have inscribed, I think your alternator is shot. Even If you have a bad battery, when the car is running the alternator provides power for the car. If the motor starts dying, lights dimming and battery light comes on, you have been driving the car on battery power, which does not last long.
Easy test, start the car and then pull the negative cable off the battery. If your alternator is good the car will continue to run. If the alternator is bad the car will run funny for a bit then die or die as some as you disconnect the battery!

Old 04-19-2014, 06:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by dbaldwin

X3 for sure

Hey even with my issue with auto Zone ($3,400 damage to my car due to wrong lug nuts, which they paid for ) they are good people

Quick Reply: No Radio