Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

ZZP Alt. Volt Booster and Alt. Rewire

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 01:13 AM
Default ZZP Alt. Volt Booster and Alt. Rewire

Hello, I promise this will be one of my last questions for awhile, after this I think I'll start checking out everyone else's posts and questions, assist them. But on zzperformance.com underneath the "Wires and Harnesses" section there is an "Alternator voltage booster" kit and an "Alternator power cable" Together these two rewiring products may boost your total voltage output by 1.0 volts. These sets are supposed to increase light brightness, seat warmer temperature, roll your windows up faster, and performance wise give your car faster starts, because it gives more power to the spark plugs and perhaps improved acceleration because it gives more power to the fuel pump. There are about 40 reviews total between these two products and a lot of people report that the brighter lights, faster windows, better stereo sound, improved throttle response, better idling, faster ignition all are factors from this product. For $31.98 plus tax and S&H I'm pretty set on this being my next mod, so cheap. I just don't want anything negative coming from this, I've read reviews that say if your voltage output is too high it can fry your PCM, keep your car from starting, throw codes, blank out your electronic display, etc. Does anyone have any feedback on whether or not this is a good idea?

Old 08-21-2009, 07:25 AM

i've never used it myself, but i have seen it on zzp and read up on it like you have. i think it's kind of a sham. it kind of reminds me of those chips sold on ebay for $19.99. just by looking at it you can't really tell what makes it output more voltage. your car has a voltage operating RANGE so that means it will run just fine from 13-14.5 volts or whatever. more isn't always better. especially in the electrical world. save your money for the better mods you have listed in your sig. besides, who cares if your windows roll up faster?!

Old 08-21-2009, 12:02 PM

It will make a noticeable difference when your car is idling with the headlights on, defroster running, radio on, etc. It's worth it for sure. I've had one on my Regal for the ~10 months- noticeable difference and no complaints.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:48 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

same thing, i've been running it for about a year now cant complain. a 10 second install time.
my volts meter sits higher, and all electrical in car seems to work better. i would say a must if you have a stereo system in your car.

by no means though is this a performance mod. its just an electrical supporting mod.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:39 PM

i need to do one of them , probably the alt rewire , when the defroster is on , idling , and ic pump running its at like 13 volts.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

i have both running and can't really tell the difference the only thing i notice is at wot the battery light will flash, according to the manual on the volt booster it said that's normal. it's been on the car 2 years now. i think the alt rewire and volt booster are more for if you have stereo stuff in your car.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:35 PM

I know this is off topic, but awhile ago didn't you say you were looking into getting a "Thrasher" shift kit? I'm within just a few paychecks of making that investment myself. Was wondering what your experience with it was.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:43 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

no i have transgo shift kit. where in indiana you from?

Old 08-22-2009, 11:41 AM

IMO, the alt rewire isn't worth the price, you can make one yourself for less than half what they charge for that. Not sure about the alt voltage booster thing

Old 08-22-2009, 10:15 PM

South Bend area. Transgo told me they don't make a shift kit for the 3800, instead they make a "Shift improver" which just fixes or strengthens a weak area in the transmission...so they're out of the picture on my list. I'm either going with ZZP or Thrasher.

Quick Reply: ZZP Alt. Volt Booster and Alt. Rewire