Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Infinity
11.76%
Alpine
17.65%
MTX
0%
Sony
5.88%
Blaupunkt
0%
5.88%
Pioneer
23.53%
Kenwood
17.65%
Visionik
0%
Kicker
17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

What Sub Amplifier do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 12:26 AM
Default What Sub Amplifier do you use?

Ok everyone. I had my subs wired up this weekend and mysteriously the amp is fried. It was a Profile baja 600w (I was told that's max output). Working fine before I took it out of my 2003, but it's dead now, and needs to be replaced. I have two JL12" subs bridged (4 Ohms) that were ok as far as volume goes, but I'd like to get a LOT more out of them, and I know they can take it. So, from the selection I listed, I'd like your opinions on the best anp I could pick up for around 150 - 300$ and still be as loud or louder than what I did have. Taking the standard conversion that the 600 w max was at 2 ohms that means I have 300 watts RMS at 2 ohms, and being bridged, it should now be 150 watts RMS at 4 ohms.

What do you think? What do you have? Experiences?

Oh, and a big thanks in advance to any contibutors!

Old 03-25-2007, 12:56 AM
Default RE: What Sub Amplifier do you use?

I personally have a Rockford 600 W rms (at4 ohms) monoblock pushing 2 10" P1 Rockfords. The entire system (including the box) cost $650.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:23 AM

Thanks Fwoggy! I'm kind of curious though. Sealed/bandpass box? I have two 8 ohm subs, so wired the way I have them wired, 4 ohms as well. They are rated at 125 w RMS each. What do you think of the sound?

Old 03-25-2007, 02:35 AM

I have a bandpass box but can't remember if the subs are 8 or 4 ohms. I love the sound on mine. They're super responsive and depending on the type of music you listen to the 10's are perfect for just about anything. I'm a country girl at heart but they hit just as hard when the Zombie or Prodigy is cranked up. The only problem I've had (not really a problem as much as an annoyance) is the little rattle from the license plate. But that's easily fixed with backing. I have the idiot **** as well so I can adjust it depending on the music. Good luck with what ever you decide on.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:18 AM

Heh, your state must still use metal plates. Iowa went to plastic!! I was rather surprised when I got my latest pair.

Thanks for the wishes for good luck. I tend to over-complicate things like this.. lol. But with such a wealth of info on the web I feel stupid not to make an informed decision!

Hmm, now off to ebay to look at prices....

Old 03-25-2007, 04:51 PM

Did some dissecting today and this thing is definately dead. I can see the two caps nearest the power connections are blown, and there's another small piece on the bord that you can tell is fried.... so it doesn't look like a catastrophic failure, more like a slow heat-related failure.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:09 PM

PLASTIC?
Leave it to Iowa LOL
Have to ask my mom about Ne. they still live in the polar north So will have to see if it is the same way there also.
Actually i guess it dont su[prise me to much if they go plastic everywhere easiy to make, easy to destroy, easy to forge, easy to use as a ice scraper.
list could go on LOL

Old 03-27-2007, 02:01 AM

Yeah, I wonder if they're still made in the USA? lol I like your idea to use it as an Ice scraper... now if Im ever in need I just have to pull out a philips head.. lol

Well, I talked to profile and they seem to think the failure that I saw is due to improper wiring. I know for sure that the old wiring was good, and according to the installer I removed it the proper way. ( power wire first, then everything else ) So the only way it could have been damaged is if it was done at the install shop. I can tell you I'm ticked. I called them and they said oh bring it in so we can look at it blah blah blah. I'm just hoping I can get my money back on the install, or at least a portion of it. Profile said they could repair the amp for 30$ if I send it to them. Almost worth it if you think about it, when compared to buying a new one for 160 or more. First I'll have to see what best buy will do, if anything.

Just really disappointing when you pay 110$ to have it installed hoping it would be a professional job, and to find out they killed your amp. I don't expect them to buy me a new amp, but really I don't think it's un-reasonable to expect a 50% or more refund on the install price I paid. That or maybe a steep discount on a new one...

Old 03-28-2007, 05:18 PM

if they screwed it up then they bought it. i would think.
this is why i do my own stuff i hate having to deal with fools at install shops that dont knwo what they are doing and screw it up. Or the shop has one good installer there and he is always training someone to do the work. this most of the time means your car gets to play teaching tool for them

Yeah NO THANKS!! i have to much time and money in my car for that

Good luck!! Let us know what happens on this

Old 03-30-2007, 04:18 PM

i have a hifonics zeus5 channel.....

Quick Reply: What Sub Amplifier do you use?