Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

What do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 12:05 AM

sounds like a good setup my friend

but... KICKER FOREVER!

Old 10-23-2009, 04:07 AM
Old 10-23-2009, 10:34 AM

Thats a lot of money to spend on amps. You could do a whole system for that price. Yeah JL amps are nice, but they're way over priced and you can do just as good for litterally half that price, or less. Also, with those Pioneer components and the right power for them, there's no need to run rear speakers at all, so buying those 6x9s would be a waste too.

My advice to the OP would be that if you're happy with those subs, stick with them. I'd look for a different amp though. The Pioneer would be fine, but you could go cheaper without loosing any quality if you wanted.

This: http://www.powermaxelectronics.com/p...&idcategory=10 amp would do a great job is pretty cheap. I have two amps from that line, but bigger ones, and I love them considering how much they cost. They do more than rated power too.

Also, forget about the capacitor. They're useless, especially at your power level. Save the money

Old 10-23-2009, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member1 Year Member

montyss02: Yeah that would sound good, but only if I had the money to actually afford them haha

Dbl_D718: Thank you very much, I do believe I just found my new amp haha

Old 10-24-2009, 02:02 AM

I agree about the cap, if you aren't running big amp don't use them. I'll have to agree that JL amp are expensive but they are worth every penny. I got both those amps and the sound quality is awesome. The Premiers sound good as well but they are better used for highs, imo, and to fill the mids the 6x9 work perfectly. I have to say that the HD 600/4, for being as small as it is, kicks butt.

Autotech makes some pretty good amps and they aren't very expensive. I owned one for like 5 years and I was very happy with it.

Last edited by Wilco; 10-24-2009 at 02:04 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Draciel
2 12" Rockford Fosgate PRIME in a sealed box.

Powered by a Pioneer Premier PRS-D2200T

Backed by a Scosche e2 ECAP1 Capacitor

All run by a Pioneer AVIC-X910BT

I'm mainly wondering if the subs will do the job in my 85 MC.
OMG, alot of "don't know's" trying to give suggestions in here, sorry if that hurts anyone's feelings but it's the truth. I'll explain how/why in a minute.

As for your setup here, the only things that stand out is the amp and cap...because your subs are single 4 ohm coil, you have two wiring options

Run in stereo, 4ohms each channel
Wire the subs in parallel and bridge the amp, 2 ohms

So the problem that amp presents in this:
Running subs in stereo isn't a good idea

I don't believe in caps, personally. And with your low power setup here, I doubt you'd even need one.

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
i had 2 10in xlodes sealed box 300 peak 600max and 2 300max 150peak dual amps and they hit pritty good most people who rode in my car were actually suprised i was running 10's
peak and max are one in the same. You mean rms and max, right?

Lots of problems with this setup:

#1 The components are rated at 100 watts rms per side, that amp will give them 150 watts rms per side, 50% more power than rated, not a great idea. It could be done so long as the gain is set properly, aka, turned way down.

#2 The 6x9's are rated for 50 watts rms each, that amp would give them 3 times that power, definitely not a good idea! Again, turning the gain way down would work but why pay $650 for an amp and not use it to it's full capability? Not to mention there are amps out there that are just as clean, if not cleaner, for far less than $650 that are better suited for these speakers.

#3 His subs are rated for 150 watts rms each, yet you're suggesting an amp that costs $670 and puts out about 7 times the power those subs can handle. That amp would murder those subs with the quickness! Again, gain could be turned down but then what's the point of buying a 1000 watts rms amp when all you need is a third of that?

Originally Posted by montyss02
I'll have to agree that JL amp are expensive but they are worth every penny. I got both those amps and the sound quality is awesome.
If you're using rear fill speakers in a 2 door vehicle, SQ isn't your goal unless you've invested countless hours tuning via speaker placement, time alignment, etc. Now if you have a DSP that can do 5.1 surround sound, that's a different ballgame, but you'd still need to invest hours and hours of tuning to get it right because when you get your front stage dialed in properly, adding rear speakers only messes up your imaging which is why any SQ vehicle worth it's weight doesn't use rear fill.

Now if it's volume you want, go for it, but if it's ideal soundstage, imaging and SQ, ditch the rear speakers.

Last edited by 04MonteLS; 10-24-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

yes rms and max... mybad

Old 10-24-2009, 10:59 AM

"Now if you have a DSP that can do 5.1 surround sound, that's a different ballgame"

I do, in fact, through my HU. I had to do a little bit of tuning to get the speakers and the amo to get along but, once I got them going, everything worked just right for me. The speakers I got work for me, but that set up wasn't written in stone. He was asking for opinions about HIS set up and made it clear he couldn't afford the amps.

The sub amp it's a great amp, although it would be obvious that the subs that he got needed to be replaced. I'm of the opinion that it's always best to have an amp that can push the speakers and not the other way around. My feelings weren't hurt, lol, since I enjoy my system very much!

Old 10-24-2009, 11:33 AM

alot of "don't know's" trying to give suggestions in here
I'm not a "don't know" lol

Running subs in stereo isn't a good idea
This isn't going to be a problem in his situation. Running with a two channel amp with one sub per channel doesn't automatically mean the subs will be playing in stereo. Especially if this headunit has a dedicated sub preamp, it will be a mono signal, which means the subs would be playing in mono in spite of being on two seperate channels.

#1 The components are rated at 100 watts rms per side, that amp will give them 150 watts rms per side, 50% more power than rated, not a great idea.
I run my 75wrms components with a 300wrms amp. Haven't blown them after a year and a half. Buying an amp with lots of headroom can be a good idea if you think you might upgrade later, because with the extra power, you'll have more options for new equipment without needing a new amp too. For example, I bought a 4 channel amp just to run my components in my doors. I did this because I had been considering going active later, so I didn't want to have to buy a new amp if I decided to do that. Until then, it's bridged to two channels giving me LOTS of headroom

Not to mention, you won't be pushing the amp to its limits so it'll be "easier" on it.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:58 AM

"Buying an amp with lots of headroom can be a good idea..."

You also avoid distortion from the speakers for using an under power amp, or rated same as the speakers, when you want to turn it up.

Quick Reply: What do you guys think?