Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Weak Subs

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 07:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Weak Subs

Lets go back to my setup for a bit shall we?

First off, mjv247 was referring to ME about powering my 12' subs with a 600W amp. He said nothing about your 1100watt amp jaws.

Second, I have a correction to make. Earlier I said that the subs were wired in parallel and hooked to the -A and +B terminals. They are actually wired to the -A and -B... Why? That doesn't make sense to me.

now today I went and re-wired the speakers to the amp. The wire was old and just looked shabby. Now the subs seem to be back to normal. It must have been just a bad/weak connection.

Now that they are going, could someone help me on the settings? Here's what they look like. I'm sure you can tell, but this is my first car audio so I don't know what some of the ***** do.

Here's a pic of them. How should I set it up, or is it good as is?

Click for bigger

Old 12-16-2008, 07:16 PM

ORIGINAL: zzapultimate

Lets go back to my setup for a bit shall we?

now today I went and re-wired the speakers to the amp. The wire was old and just looked shabby. Now the subs seem to be back to normal. It must have been just a bad/weak connection.
Now that they are going, could someone help me on the settings? Here's what they look like. I'm sure you can tell, but this is my first car audio so I don't know what some of the ***** do.
Here's a pic of them. How should I set it up, or is it good as is?
Click for bigger

Well, what amp do you have? I can't help you without knowing that.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:20 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

-fist off make sure the top left is on, bass boost on.
-underneath that is the xover, crossover, make sure that on low profile or, LPF.
-i am not sure of the switch below it i never seen it but i think it is how many channels you are useing if you are useing a and b i guess it be 2 ch

-if you are only useing ch a and b then i guess you only need to use the far right dials
-you will want to turn the top one up to max as you can but you might not need it at max you do not want to over do the amp or the subs or have distortion, this is the hardest to find the spot you will have to play with it.
-below that is the LPF setting, since you switched it to LPF earlier you should rotate this all the way to the left so the subs hit the loudest at the lowest bass response, if not at the lowest maby slightly higher depends on what frequency the subs plat the loudest.
-the bottom one is for HPF since you have it on LPF this dial will do nothing.

and how old is this amp it looks like its realy old

Old 12-16-2008, 07:24 PM

i have two 12s speakers and they're powered by a 2000watt amp. I guess it may b diff. for a speaker and sub but there aren't any problems with them

Old 12-16-2008, 07:36 PM

It is a Jensen LXA 600

When I put the switch onto LPF and turn the **** all way to the lowest (left at 40) the subs basically shut off. But when I turn it to max ( 240) they pound.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:11 PM

GOT SPL

maby the top right dial is for the bass boost put that at max and maby the dial below that is the input level meanin how much power the amp is putting out. my 4 channel amp has a bass boost, input level and the LPF or HPF dial. but for my sub its a mono channel so it has no bass boost, it just seemed odd that thats how it be but hey if it works then cool. what subs are you powering and what size

Old 12-16-2008, 09:00 PM

The subs are 12' alpine type Es

Old 12-16-2008, 09:38 PM

GOT SPL

ya it must be that other way cause 12in subs can hit pretty low frequencies.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:24 PM

ORIGINAL: jaws2008

-fist off make sure the top left is on, bass boost on.
-underneath that is the xover, crossover, make sure that on low profile or, LPF.
-i am not sure of the switch below it i never seen it but i think it is how many channels you are useing if you are useing a and b i guess it be 2 ch

-if you are only useing ch a and b then i guess you only need to use the far right dials
-you will want to turn the top one up to max as you can but you might not need it at max you do not want to over do the amp or the subs or have distortion, this is the hardest to find the spot you will have to play with it.
-below that is the LPF setting, since you switched it to LPF earlier you should rotate this all the way to the left so the subs hit the loudest at the lowest bass response, if not at the lowest maby slightly higher depends on what frequency the subs plat the loudest.
-the bottom one is for HPF since you have it on LPF this dial will do nothing.

and how old is this amp it looks like its realy old
turning the bass boost on will not allow him to set the gains properly. Turn the bass boost off.
LPF doesn't mean low profile, it means low pass filter
the switch below the xover switch dictates how many channels you will have active on the amp.
correct on what dials to use for channels a/b
definitely don't turn the gain to max and it's very easy to set the gain.

To set your gain:
[ol][*]Start by turning all of the input level adjustment ***** (gain controls) on your components fully counter-clockwise (to their minimum setting). Set the tone controls (bass, treble, loudness) on your head unit to no boost (bass and treble level = 0 and loudness is off). If you have more than one RCA pair you will want to set each gain adjustment separately. Make sure your fader and balance controls are set to the channel you want to adjust first. This can be an individual channel if you have individual gain adjustments or a pair of channels if you have one gain for two channels.[*]Next set all of your equalizers settings (if you have an equalizer) to the center (detent) position so they produce no boost or cut. What we want is as pure a signal as possible.[*]Put in some good quality source material, preferably a CD with strong output and a clean recording. Hard rock would be a bad choice here. Try something cleaner, maybe acoustic, that you're familiar with.[*]Turn the deck's volume up slowly until you begin to hear distortion. When you hear it, stop and back off slightly until you no longer hear it. If you don't hear distortion, even when the volume is all of the way up then you have a quality head unit. That's what we're looking for.[*]Now with your head unit at maximum undistorted volume move on to the next component. Adjust it's input gain until you begin to hear distortion. Back off slightly.[*]Continue this process until you have all of the components in the chain at their maximum undistorted level.[*]When you reach the amplifiers you may need to wear earplugs to adjust them to their maximum level. As before, turn up the gain until you hear audible distortion. This should be audible even with earplugs in. But honestly, if you have to wear earplugs to listen the distortion level is probably not a factor [/ol]Setting the lpf xover point to the lowest setting means your subs will only play at that frequency and lower. 40hz is pretty low so you'd be missing out on a whole lot of bass if you set it there and leave it. This is where having a cd that you're very familiar with comes in handy. You can let it play and play while you adjust the **** until it sounds the way it should. Kind of hard to set anything if you're playing a song you're not familiar with cause you don't know how it should sound. I can't tell you what sounds good to you so you just have to play with it until you're happy with the sound.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:26 PM

ORIGINAL: mjv247

i have two 12s speakers and they're powered by a 2000watt amp. I guess it may b diff. for a speaker and sub but there aren't any problems with them
Not all speakers and subs have the same specs. Some 12's can only handle 200 watts of power, other's can handle 1000 watts, all depends on the sub.

Quick Reply: Weak Subs