Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Water on passenger floor

Old 06-16-2013, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Water on passenger floor

I just noticed that the floor in front of my back seat us soaked. I am asduming from all the heavy rains here in MA lately. I am wondering if it is connected to my airbag light being on. I have my windows open about an inch and a half now while I am at work to try and dry out the floor. I have the seat moved forward to the air can get at it. I realize that I must now start saving my pennies to get the BCM replaced ( not looking forward to that bill). How do I go about preventing this from happening again? I think the water came in through the cabin filter.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:56 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Typically the back seat area doesn't get wet from the cabin air filter area. But if you really think that's the only access point then look for the thread called "Permanent Cabin Air Filter Fix"

Old 06-16-2013, 01:06 PM
10 Year Member

If not from the cabin filter, then from where. I just checked the carpet and it is still soaked. I know I wilk probably be charged around $700 to fix.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:49 PM

It wouldn't be from the cabin air filter, the floor by the front seat would have been soaked first. Is you back little window sealed? Do you have any water spots/dampness on the headliner showing that it's coming through the roof?

That's really the only place I can see it coming from, actually you could check the drains in your door (bottom of the door, you'll have to get on the ground to look at them), if they are clogged and the rain water isn't coming out it'll leak around the side of the seat and into the back.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

If the front passenger side foot well is dry, I would begin wondering about window seals. Does you car have a sunroof? If so, it might be worth while to check the sunroof drain tube.... Chasing water leaks can be a real pain!

Old 06-16-2013, 04:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mike 00LS
It wouldn't be from the cabin air filter, the floor by the front seat would have been soaked first. Is you back little window sealed? Do you have any water spots/dampness on the headliner showing that it's coming through the roof?

That's really the only place I can see it coming from, actually you could check the drains in your door (bottom of the door, you'll have to get on the ground to look at them), if they are clogged and the rain water isn't coming out it'll leak around the side of the seat and into the back.
i think that is what happened to me, cause my back seat on the passenger sode was soaked randomly....and i do be hearing water in the door sometimes....i know where to look now

Old 06-16-2013, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member

I checked and I deserve a dope slap. The seal on the rear half window was pulled out on the top allowing the water in. I pushed it back in and it is now sealed once again. I will be keeping an eye on it from now on. Now I just have to figure out how to dry the carpet. I will, however, get that one part mentioned in the thread mentioned above. And do that fix so I won't have to worry about it down the road.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:41 PM

I'd remove the back seat, then you'll be able to peel the carpet back to the front seat and dry under it.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:59 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Might not hurt to hit it with a wet/dry vac and suck up the water too!

Glad you found the source!

Old 06-16-2013, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member

I will most certainly try to do both. I think that the wet/dry vac woykd be the "least invasive". I will have to figure out how to move the back seat to get under the carpet and get a towel under there to sop up the water.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water on passenger floor