Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Under dash LEDs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 07:25 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member
Default Under dash LEDs.

I want to get a flexible red LED strip for under the dash on each side of the monte. I am going to wire them in to come on with the dome light. I want them pretty bright to light up the floor, but I dont want to pay more than 40-50 bucks for them. Does anyone have a place they would recommend me getting them from?

Old 02-10-2008, 09:42 AM
Default RE: Under dash LEDs.

I just used 5mmL.E.D.'s (3 on each side) and wired them in to a switch and the bulb that is allready under the dash. I only paid $25 for 50 of them from the sponser on this site that all ready had wired the leds. so i just had to make my own mounts and wire it in. I can get a picture of them if you want.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:51 AM

I would love to see a picture of them if ya get a chance.

But when i was doing my dash and i did this under mine . I actually went to the computer store and got a cold cat tube set up. (cheap and 12volt) In germany i think i paid 12-15euro for them.

but they are basicaly like a floresent tube light but not as easily broken. they are for the indise of a computer case to light it up.

Any way i did this then i just drilled some real small holes in the plastic cover that is under the dash where the curtisy light is. and put them in there with Zip ties.

And hooked them to a switch also.
But to hook them in to the dome light is would be the same thing as my under the door handel LED's i did. just run all you wires togeather and soldier them and shrink tube EVERYTHING!! no shorts allowed.

then you can tap in tot the wires for the curtisy light under the dash. this will give you the dimming effects and also the power on and power off with the dome light.

But remeber LED's dont really dim to much it is more then start to some and then out.
but make sure when you do this you get LEDS that are 12 volt. OR the right resitors to put in line to make them work on a 12 volt system.

if you are just looking for a short strip to put under there you can make them real easily also.
got to your favorit radio hacker shop.
get the bread bord or circut bod there . they have some that you dont need acid to work with for get the name but it is basically draw it with a pen and be done.

make the circut you want. if it is a straight on and off then you only really need a positive and a negitive . soldier the LED's in to the holes that you have done and seal all your connections in to a small box or even with some dubbel sided tape that has some sponge in it.
It will allow them to seal with out getting to bulky.

if you want to have a switch on it just take the + and wire it threw a switch and the - straight to ground .

then you can power them threw the switch.

if ya need more help let me know.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:04 PM

5 Year Member

2000_Black_SS, If you could get a picture of them that would be great. It might be easier to replace the existing bulbs with red LEDs. Do you have to wire in LEDs or do they make LEDs that plug into the socket for the stock lights?

Old 02-10-2008, 03:28 PM

belive me it is not to hard to do.

But yeah they make a replacement bulb for the 194 socket that is actually a LED replacment.

I have them in my map lights. think it was like 5.00 euro for them so i might be liek 3-5bucks here to get them. just go to the local auto parts store and find them.

I found mine in a stereo shop in GErmany they had everythign there.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:12 PM

5 Year Member

Ok 194 socket then. So now I know what to look for. Thanks man. How bright are the replacement LEDs? Will just 3 light up the floor good?

Old 02-10-2008, 05:14 PM

cold cathode is the way to go, had blue in my cavalier 1 under each side of the dash, and 1 under each seat, with this setup i had near perfect glow coverage on the floor.

i bought mine here
http://www.xoxide.com/coldcathodes.html
as you can see there very cheap and work better than neons (dont like cold) and leds (dont disperse the light they have focus points making them not "glow")

looked for any old pics but couldn't find any ,sorry

Old 02-10-2008, 05:38 PM

I took the pictures at about 4 pm here it is now 530 and my puter just does not want to work with me. everything i try to do to upload them to photobucket, cardomain, motortopia i always get the same error saying this page can not be displayed.

iMIGHT be able to get them up later though but thats a big MIGHT

Old 02-10-2008, 08:19 PM

you know you can load them straight from your puter with out going threw phot bucket etc...
at teh bottom of the page in stead of typing in the fast reply click reply
there is a upload section in the bottom corner of the frame that comes up look the same other then the reply button allows for up loads.,
click it and also click the imbed photos in post and it will put the photos in the post for ya to.
jsut has to be the right size to work with the system. not sure of it anymore.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:22 PM

ORIGINAL: mickey

you know you can load them straight from your puter with out going threw phot bucket etc...
at teh bottom of the page in stead of typing in the fast reply click reply
there is a upload section in the bottom corner of the frame that comes up look the same other then the reply button allows for up loads.,
click it and also click the imbed photos in post and it will put the photos in the post for ya to.
jsut has to be the right size to work with the system. not sure of it anymore.
Any time i try using that it always says file is to large so i just go through photobucket. also i was going to update my cardomain page. So i just wanted to do it once but it looks like my computer will be going to Geek squad on tuesday to bechecked out

Mrl390

Also have you ever thought about puuting some in the back seat underneath the lip of the bech seat part because i have some going underneath there as well and my friends always say how nice it looks at car shows we go to at night when they are on.

Quick Reply: Under dash LEDs.