Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Uh oh?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

dang, then im probably not hopping to a typex... if it was blown i dont think it would be moving and blowing as much air as it is in that vid. it still sounded like good clean bass like before so i dont think i should have a problem hopefully

Old 10-04-2010, 05:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Ya man.. I think its fine, just dont push it at its peak for long periods of time and I think it will be good..

But I do think that smell is an Alpine thing but not positive..

Old 10-04-2010, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by jaws2008
Ya man.. I think its fine, just dont push it at its peak for long periods of time and I think it will be good..

But I do think that smell is an Alpine thing but not positive..
its not a good smell... they need to invest in a wintergreen smell or something hah

Old 10-04-2010, 10:11 PM

if you smelt the burning smell it means your burning the rubber coating from around the coils,just like a speaker wire burning.the coil wires touch sending a negative feed back to the amplifier eventually blowing the outputs in the amplifier. if you did smell that you either have the speakers wired wrong or have a amp way to powerful for the speakers. you should NEVER smell that , nomatter how long or hard u play your music. try this. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Un5CyuO...rs_wiring.html

Old 10-04-2010, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by SittnOn4z
if you smelt the burning smell it means your burning the rubber coating from around the coils,just like a speaker wire burning.the coil wires touch sending a negative feed back to the amplifier eventually blowing the outputs in the amplifier. if you did smell that you either have the speakers wired wrong or have a amp way to powerful for the speakers. you should NEVER smell that , nomatter how long or hard u play your music. try this. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Un5CyuO...rs_wiring.html
ive wired many systems, the system is wired correctly in a box created for the sub, and the amp is giving it 100 rms less than the max rms rating

Old 10-05-2010, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
ive wired many systems, the system is wired correctly in a box created for the sub, and the amp is giving it 100 rms less than the max rms rating
just tryin to help. if its wired incorrectly you will get that smell.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:21 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by SittnOn4z
just tryin to help. if its wired incorrectly you will get that smell.
alright, wasnt getting mad at your, just wondering if you thought it would be anything else with that extra info lol

Old 10-07-2010, 12:45 PM

Just jumping in reaal quick, "late night tip" will roast your coils if your amps not tuned correctly. That song has notes as low as 13Hz. Just didnt know if you knew that or not.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member

my amp is tuned right i believe, i will check it out tho again, it ran fine for quite a bit, it was the 2nd time playing the song about half way through that i started to smell it

Old 10-08-2010, 03:55 AM

Im not questioning your electronic ability, Im just saying, if you're not tuned PERFECT for your setup, you can roast even your speakers without an amp. That song (like I said), hits as llow as 13 Hz, thats almost too low for human ear to pick up on. But then again, as mentioned above, it might just be giving your coils a nice work out that they need.
And I would also like to take this time to suggest downloading "audacity" for your music needs, you seem like you're really into nice sound from your stereo and that software will let you play around with tons of audio tuning (I mean more than you could ever need). I played around with it and got one of those explode systems from walmart, (you know, the ones that come with the whole kit in a box) after a little tuning with audacity, I had that system sounding MEAN!!! At least give it a go, you'll be pleasanty SUPRISED, I promise... >>>>
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/