Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Uh oh?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 01:26 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Uh oh?

Today i got home, started my car just to keep it running once in a while, and then i thought i would try some new bass songs. So i tried hypnotize and late night tip, and they sound great, but towards the end of pushing the sub pretty hard, i smelt something burning and could narrow it down to coming from inside the box, which makes me think voice coils burning up. but the sub kept the same volume and sound the whole time. this makes me think it could be something else? the volume stayed the same and the sub sounded the same before and after. any help would be great, thanks.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:39 AM

nah you were just cooking the coils a bit, their probobly either pretty new or never really pushed, ive never had a speaker or sub that you didnt smell that from at least once. some take weeks to break in, some takes an hour. but even if its old, it can stil do it, it just saying "turn it the **** down" you'll be fine long as its stil playing. i woudln't worry about it at all

Old 10-03-2010, 02:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Did u see smoke.

take out the sub and look at the coil and where the wire goes across it does it look yellow. thats a sign that it was getting burnt

Old 10-03-2010, 02:34 PM

GOT SPL

Oh and by the way "Hypnotize" and "Late Night Tip" as well as some other Young Jeezy songs like "Put On" really give your system a work out haha!!

Old 10-03-2010, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member

lol i turned it on and it still sounds fine, and pushes air and sound. i didnt see smoke, i dont have enough time to pull it out right now, but i didnt notice anything wrong with it. ive had it for about 2 and a half years, i never really pushed it to its full potential until now.

i figured it wouldnt blow because it can handle 1600w and its up to 600w rms, and im only pushing about 450-500w, but im not completely sure.

i will pull it and take pictures next weekend.

if a voice coil burnt out it would probably sound worse right?

Old 10-04-2010, 12:07 AM

GOT SPL

Not necessarily. If it was the first time it started burning no harm is really done in short term. If those are the only songs played im sure it wasn't to bad on it.

But now I think about this. I had an 12" Alpine type X for a little while and it always had that burnt electronic smell to it every time it was played. Now it was like new when I had it. But it never had any harm to it. The coil was great and the other mechanics of the sub was still in great shape and it played excellent.

So maby its just something with Alpine?????

Old 10-04-2010, 10:09 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by jaws2008
Not necessarily. If it was the first time it started burning no harm is really done in short term. If those are the only songs played im sure it wasn't to bad on it.

But now I think about this. I had an 12" Alpine type X for a little while and it always had that burnt electronic smell to it every time it was played. Now it was like new when I had it. But it never had any harm to it. The coil was great and the other mechanics of the sub was still in great shape and it played excellent.

So maby its just something with Alpine?????
im not sure, i never really smelt the smell before, because i had it in my truck that was on my back seat, so i would have smelt it there. but i never really pushed it on a song like that before.

i gotta take it out and check it friday though.

how did you like your type-x? it seems to have similar wattage to the type-r, just a little more, and same design, bigger magnet? i like the new designs on the type-rs but if i do need to get a new sub i was thinking going the new type-r or stepping to the type-x, but i havent heard the the type-x is worth it for the money step up

Old 10-04-2010, 10:24 AM

GOT SPL

I never herd a type r so I cant really compare. But I always liked the type x and there not all that expensive to the woofers it compares to.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:31 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by jaws2008
I never herd a type r so I cant really compare. But I always liked the type x and there not all that expensive to the woofers it compares to.
heres my newest video... let me know if it looks like its blown =p let me know what you think compared to a type x too..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EADSx03BYI

doesnt move the mirror like smackin does at all and the mic picked up some weird noises lol

Old 10-04-2010, 04:49 PM

GOT SPL

Hard to tell from a video. It sounds fine.

I think you would like the Type X. I think the type x might be a tad cleaner and louder as well. But you would probably have to upgrade your amp to handle a type x. It can take 1000rms