Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Turning off those Daytime Running Lights on 00-05

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007 | 12:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: Turning off those Daytime Running Lights on 00-05

the only reason i like it without it when i had them on my truck is that i liked having just the corner (orange) lights on and the fog lights with no headlights on, looked way better

but i know thats not what the daytime running lights are for is looks....

Old 07-31-2007 | 01:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

DRL's personally annoy me.

You can pay the dealer around $75 to have them de-programmed.

www.lightsout.org

THE STORY OF DRLs
Quick Links
History
The Case Against DRLs
[hr]

History
In some countries, DRLs have been mandatory or in use since the 1970s, and some have noticed a decrease in only one or maybe two types of motor vehicle crashes. However, under reanalysis, the benefits of DRLs in these countries has been called into serious question. The countries that currently use and have used DRLs for many years are very different from the United States in culture, in government, and, most importantly, in latitude and climate.
Scandinavian countries were the first to impose DRL regulations on manufacturers and on consumers. But Scandinavia, which is located in the far northern latitudes (i.e. North Pole,) has much less ambient lighting than the United States, especially in the winter. Naturally, then, DRLs would have a different impact on motorists and on highway safety. Yet it is to 20 year old studies from these countries that our government and our automobile manufacturers point to in support of DRL regulations.
Sweden enacted mandatory DRL laws in 1977. Norway followed in 1986, Iceland in 1988, Denmark in 1990. Canada has required DRLs on new cars since 1989. Anyone with even a basic knowledge of geography, however, will see the plain and apparent differences between these nations and our own - their distance from the equator!
Initially, NHSTA said safety experiences in northern countries had no direct application to the United States. But, in a strange reversal of tradition, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) began embracing DRL regulatory proposals at the request of petitions from General Motors. One need only follow the money trail to see why this has happened. The automobile industry has seen the massive economic potential of marketing their products to your fears, and has convinced the federal government to throw reliable data -- and common sense -- out the window.
Because there is no conclusive evidence that DRLs present any real safety advantages, and because the United States does have more ambient lighting than countries where DRLs have been embraced, DRLs are NOT currently required in America. But if some people -- including the amazing special interest of the automobile industry -- have their way, we'll all soon be paying for their unique but unfounded marketing concept.
Strangely, the road toward DRL acceptance by government regulators has been a twisted one. In 1987, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety proposed that NHTSA permit DRLs. NHTSA rejected the idea, but the Insurance Institute proposed the concept again a year later. Still, it was rejected, and NHTSA said that DRLs do not improve highway safety and may, in fact, INCREASE HIGHWAY HAZARDS. Quite simply, if most vehicles have DRLs, it's harder to spot those who do not. NHTSA also said glare from the DRLs of oncoming vehicles could bother some drivers.
[b]But in 1990, General Motors pushed NHTSA again, asking for a national standard permitting an optional DRL system. NHTSA complied two years later, and therein lies the problem. NHTSA regulations take precedence over any and all state laws, so now DRLs are legal in all states, when two-thirds of the states had previously banned DRLs altogether. Even worse, NHTSA permitted DRLs to be implemented on high beam headlamps at up to 7000 candela. This is well above the threshold for discomfort glare. Why? So

Old 08-01-2007 | 08:54 AM

ORIGINAL: bbengineer

On 00-04, if you pull the relay you will get a 'Service Vehicle Soon' on the cluster

If you leave th relay, but don't allow the DRLs to come on (the tape on the relay trick), you will get a "Highbeam Out" on the cluster

If you pull the DRL fuse you will lose your left high and low beam, and likely get a 'Service Vehicle Soon' on the cluster

You can safely pull the DRL relay on the 05 with no ill effects

As far as the 'safety' factor... there is little proven benefit to DRLs... check out http://lightsout.org

BBEngineer
Thank you so much for posting that link!!! This is one of the topics that I am very passionate about because the auto manufacturers are pretty much feeding off the fears of the public and forcing us to have and believe in a feature that has little evidence that it makes us any safer. With so many different factors playing into the cause of an accident, it's nearly impossible to
credit DRL's with preventing them. If it were a feature that they allowed us to turn on/off as needed/wanted, then I wouldn't have a problem with my car being equipped with them, but they take that control out of our hands and force us to deal with an unproven "safety feature" that's nothing more than a nuisance IMO, and an insult since the insenuation is that i'm not smart enough to realize when I should turn my lights on.