Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Turning off those Daytime Running Lights on 00-05

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007 | 01:58 PM
|

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
3 Year Member1 Year Member
5 Year Member
Default Turning off those Daytime Running Lights on 00-05

Alright, I hate those annoying little lights that shine when you pull your car out of park and your headlights aren't on. Heres what to do. On the passenger side of your car in the top fuse box under the hood, the second long fuse down from the top left corner is the fuse for daytime running lamps. It should be shown on a sticker on the outside of the box. When you pull it out... tada! no more daytime lights. However, you will only have your passenger side high beam light. If this is fine with you, go ahead. However, if you want to make everything work, you will need to run2 wires into the outside prongs on the box, put a in wire fuse thing in it somewhere, splice it all together and hook a 2 position toggle switch to it. I'm planning on doing this sometime soon because I love my high beams, but don't do much night time driving. It was about to rain when I finally decided to do something about those lights, so I plan on fixing the lights up this upcoming weekend.

Old 07-29-2007 | 02:14 PM
Default RE: Turning off those Daytime Running Lights on 00-05

Hi Cowboy,
Maybe it's because I live in Florida where's there are many elderly drivers
on the road. I think day timerunning lights are a proven safety device, but
we are still free to dis-connected them. I won't : )
I wish I had a ray/gun type light to warn the elderly as they wait, then pull
right out in front of you as you approach : (
They waited long enough....then creep out onto the
highway. : (
[/align][/align]

Making vehicles more conspicuous to other road usersDaytime Running Lights (DRLs) are bright, white forward-facing lights that improve the forward conspicuousness of vehicles in the daytime.

Overseas studies have shown that daytime running lights reduce daytime accidents by making vehicles more conspicuous to other road users.
The greatest benefits are with the more severe accidents, including head-on and intersection crashes and collisions with pedestrians and cyclists.
The National Roads and Motorists' Association Limited (NRMA) commissioned research on the use of DRLĀ“s.Daytime running lights(PDF 2,272 KB/45 Pages)
What NRMA wants...NRMA believes dedicated Daytime Running Lights are the best way forward because they shine in the best direction for improving the vehicle's chances of being seen.

However, NRMA would like to see improvements to DRLs before they are widely used in Australia.
They should be brighter than the current Australian Design Rule, which is based on a European regulation. Europe is now looking at a 50 per cent increase in brightness which will make DRLs more effective on bright days in Australia.

A light sensing system should be combined with DRLs to ensure that the system automatically switches over to low beam headlights when light levels are low. This will
eliminate concerns about bright DRLs causing uncomfortable glare at dawn or dusk.[/align][/align]

Old 07-30-2007 | 08:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I HATE my DRL's

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2319272

Old 07-30-2007 | 08:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

there should be a daytime running light module somewhere you can just disconnect isn't there???

Old 07-30-2007 | 08:21 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I understand that BBEngineering's harness is as easy as it gets. Will Cowboy's way work on an '04? Is it the same as BBEngineers?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2319272

Old 07-30-2007 | 08:26 PM

wiz - the bcm controls the lights, and uses the same wires from the bcm to the highbeams for DRLs and highbeams... no wonder everyone has such a hard time turning them off.

Old 07-31-2007 | 07:41 AM
5 Year Member

i think this might be why i haven't touched them yet...lol...

i've had vehicles where you just disconect the module

but i do agree with space, they're put there for a safety reason, i know they dont look as good, but its a good thing for some people that are forgetfull

Old 07-31-2007 | 07:51 AM

On 00-04, if you pull the relay you will get a 'Service Vehicle Soon' on the cluster

If you leave th relay, but don't allow the DRLs to come on (the tape on the relay trick), you will get a "Highbeam Out" on the cluster

If you pull the DRL fuse you will lose your left high and low beam, and likely get a 'Service Vehicle Soon' on the cluster

You can safely pull the DRL relay on the 05 with no ill effects

As far as the 'safety' factor... there is little proven benefit to DRLs... check out http://lightsout.org

BBEngineer

Old 07-31-2007 | 08:22 AM
5 Year Member

so nothing happens if you pull the fuse on an 05???

Old 07-31-2007 | 11:05 AM

See, you guys talk about how you hate them, and I LOVE THEM. Anytime I drive, I like to have them on.

#1, It tells slow @$$holes in front of me that I am there, and they seem to move out of the way into the right lane alot faster with them on.

#2, I usually pull the **** out one click, so that the side markers and the high beams are on, and I also always turn on the fog lights in addition to those two, and I personally think it looks great.

-Keegan

Quick Reply: Turning off those Daytime Running Lights on 00-05