Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

3rd Gen ('78-'80): Trunk Upholstery/Carpet Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Trunk Upholstery/Carpet Kit

Hello everybody!
I have a '79 that I am finshing a 2 year refresh. Here is a pic while the body work was still being finished and I was installing the DynaMat.

As you can see, I NEED somthing to cover this stuff.
I have my carpet kit selection down to four (Hyperlinks):

GSI Interiors : Monte Carlo SS Carpet Full Trunk Floor Mat Kit New

Dixie Monte Carlo Depot

Trunk Upholstery Kit

GBodyParts.com Online

I have been in contact with the guys at Dixie Monte Carlo. They told me that their kit would work on my '79 Monte with some minimal trimming. Has anybody put one of these kits in a 3rd Gen Monte? I can't believe there are THAT many differences in G-Body trunks. It looks like the GSI kit has a "spare tire delete" panel that would be nice for me as I don't carry a spare at this time. It is a bit hard to tell from the pictures, but do all the other kits have the spare tire cover? Do all the kits come with the carpet that covrs up the tail light area? Anything that you wish you had known BEFORE you did the trunk carpet install?
Thanks in advance for the advice!
Russ

Old 04-23-2012, 11:11 AM

im sure the minimal trimming is because thats for 4th gen cars and theyre bigger than the 3rd gen. personally i like the carpet up to the tail lights. im pretty sure thats how mine is. my carpet is black though, and im going to assume its the factory stuff, but god only knows. if i wasnt going to carry a spare i would take some sheet metal, and make a plate with a hinge, and then carpet over it so i have a little concealed storage space. or you could always cut the well out and weld in a panel to be rid of the tire well.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:58 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks for the insight. I have been leaning towards the DixieMonteCarlo kit or the GSI kit as both have a cover for the spare tire. I like having the empty spare tire for a cooler or somthing else small like a tool bag I don't want rolling around. I also like the carpet up to the tail lights. I KNOW Dixie's kit has a piece for that. Waiting to hear back from GSI if their kit does. I'll likely get one of the two bought in May. Thanks again for all the help!

Russ

Old 04-27-2012, 07:19 AM

np. post some pics of your project. always good to see 3rd gens.