Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Are there any late model radios that willl fit a 2001?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 09:56 AM
Default Are there any late model radios that willl fit a 2001?

I'd like to upgrade the factory audio system in my Monte Carlo. I mostly want added features like mp3, bluetooth or maybe even a navigation system. Do you guys know if there are any factory systems that will fit my 2001 LS without requiring significant modifications?

Thanks in advance for any feedback,
Michael

Old 03-15-2015, 01:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

For the '01, I don't believe GM had a factory bluetooth and nav system you can drop into it.

I know for a fact you can gain a factory MP3 radio (which was never offered). Here's what I did:
'04 Monte Carlo SS - Factory MP3 Radio

I used a GM MP3 Radio #10348717, only offered in '04 Cavvies and Venture Vans. After someone dialed it in with a GM Tech II, works 100% perfect.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
For the '01, I don't believe GM had a factory bluetooth and nav system you can drop into it.

I know for a fact you can gain a factory MP3 radio (which was never offered). Here's what I did:
'04 Monte Carlo SS - Factory MP3 Radio

I used a GM MP3 Radio #10348717, only offered in '04 Cavvies and Venture Vans. After someone dialed it in with a GM Tech II, works 100% perfect.
Thanks for the tip! Did it connect up to your existing harness, or did it need some modifying?

Old 03-15-2015, 06:50 PM

10 Year Member

That mp3 gm radio was plug and play. The only "modification" that needed done was to have someone with a gm tech 2 unlock the theft lock part and program the radio for my car. So the hardware was all good and it was a software change with the tech 2.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:14 PM

That mp3 gm radio was plug and play. The only "modification" that needed done was to have someone with a gm tech 2 unlock the theft lock part and program the radio for my car. So the hardware was all good and it was a software change with the tech 2.
Thanks man! I'm gonna look into that. Do you have to have the VIN number of the car it came out of in order to unlock it? Just wondering.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:31 PM

10 Year Member

The only VIN I believe needed is for the car the radio is going into.
I'll warn you in advance, I've read about how some dealers will look at the radio and claim "per our computer, that radio was never offered for your car" so it may take some nudging to get them to just try to unlock it. I am fortunate to know a guy that works for a dealership and he was willing to give it a try (because if it worked or not, I knew I was asking to try something "undocumented", it worked and I've done this with an Impala and an '02 Grand Am since).

Also, because they have to take it out of theft lock, you may have to explain how/where you got the radio. Mine was eBay.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:38 PM

The only VIN I believe needed is for the car the radio is going into.
I'll warn you in advance, I've read about how some dealers will look at the radio and claim "per our computer, that radio was never offered for your car" so it may take some nudging to get them to just try to unlock it. I am fortunate to know a guy that works for a dealership and he was willing to give it a try (because if it worked or not, I knew I was asking to try something "undocumented", it worked and I've done this with an Impala and an '02 Grand Am since).

Also, because they have to take it out of theft lock, you may have to explain how/where you got the radio. Mine was eBay.
Ok. I've been shopping some on ebay too. I guess I better talk with some local GM techs and make sure I have some help standing by before I order anything. Thanks again my friend for all the helpful input.

Michael

Old 03-16-2015, 05:54 AM

10 Year Member

I'd say get the radio, pop it in and then take it to a dealer. If you are persuasive enough (along with the fact you know this has been proven to work), they'll probably try it for the heck of it.

Also, words of caution:
1. - There is a radio that looks just like the MP3 one I mentioned, but it comes from GM trucks. DO NOT BUY THAT! I've been there done that. It will power up, it will play, but a Tech II will never talk to it in a Monte. Get the one I gave you the part number for and you're good to go.
2. - There is info on the Internet about pulling the radio apart and popping a chip off of it. Again, I don't advise that. Popping the chip means it's not properly programmed for your car (it's programmed for the last car it was in) and it has some other quarks. Getting it programmed with the Tech II is your best and safest bet and I know it works (again I've done this swap more then once).

Old 03-18-2015, 10:36 PM

the radio in my 03 impala went and i would like to replace it as well. based on my research you can get a refurbished or newer style radio however the dealer has to "unlock" it with a tech2. so a less expensive radio will ultimately become wasted on the cost of a dealership visit...

can someone take a look at this link? the guys says its already unlocked...does that mean plug and play without dealership?

Unlocked 2001 2005 Chevy Venture Monte Carlo SS CD Cassette Radio Impala | eBay

Old 03-19-2015, 05:39 AM

10 Year Member

I don't know how this generation radio can be sold "unlocked" as I don't know enough about that concept. Personal opinion, it still doesn't matter unlocked or not, there are features of a car that need programmed to these radios with a GM Tech II (such as, I believe if it came from a car without wheel controls and it's not programmed for them, it won't work in your car until a GM Tech II reprograms it).

Quick Reply: Are there any late model radios that willl fit a 2001?