Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

is there an aftermarket...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 06:06 PM
Default is there an aftermarket...?

Heads-Up Display...

I drove my buddy's GTP the week or so after my crash and got to LOVE the HUD, and I was wondering if there was a Monte kit anywhere out there? I tried a search here, but no threads came up for me... maybe one of you guys can help me?

(Just dreamin' here, but Chevy put a NICE HUD into the Corvettes, maybe there's some swap out there?)

Old 03-30-2008, 01:57 PM
Default RE: is there an aftermarket...?

I've seen that people have taken some out of GTP's and installed them in some Camaro/Trans Ams, so it's probably possible, but I doubt anyone makes a kit you could just buy and put in.

Maybe if someone found a working setup at a junkyard and figured out how it worked then I bet someone could figure out how to install it in a Monte.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:37 PM

i bet some people look up the diagrams and compare them. you might be able to do it. just use the diagram from a GTP when you are hooking it up to yourmonte, use both diagrams so you can compare the wire color. i bet they function the same, but just with different wire colors. i think that will be your only complication.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:51 PM

Discalimer: I know nothing about HUD. Everything I'm throwing out there to think about I just stumbled across in less than 5 minutes of looking.

Do you need a special windshield to properly display the HUD? I found a site selling Corvette windshield and they distinguished between HUD and non HUD. I alos found an article talking about how Dupont helps make the windshields for GM cars with HUD (GTP, Vette, STS, XLR)

You need a place to put the controls for the HUD which in a Vette seems to be just off to the left of the instrument pannel. They seem to have a space to insert the controller which resembles a steering wheel radio control.

Just a coupld thoughts. I LOVE the idea!