Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

7th Gen ('06-'07): Swapping in a column shift?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Swapping in a column shift?

alright folks, ive always liked column shift cars better than center consoles, and in my quest to make my monte unique i am trying to plan swapping in a column shift from an impala. i guess im just looking for confirmation here and seeing if anyone has done this or know of anyone who has. this is an 06 lt.

the turn signal stalk, cruise and radio buttons are the same between monte and impala. the key has a unique chip but i can swap my old lock/ignition switch over. i assume the wiring at the bottom of the column and the steering shaft are the same. the gear indicator on the dash, as far as i have read, is controlled by a switch on the transmission. i am pretty sure i will have to get the shifter cable from the column shift but it should swap directly.

i guess the only thing im concerned about is it looks like the monte dash sticks out farther than the impala dash and i dont know if the shift lever will clear.

guess im just thinking out loud at this point, let me know what you think and if you know if its been done or if it could be done.

(and to answer your questions, i would do column shift with bucket seats, seems very old school muscle and get new carpet from acc without the holes for the console cut out, and the console mounting brackets should either be bolted or tack welded in and easily removeable)

Old 12-10-2012, 07:38 PM

any update? sounds like a cool project

Old 12-12-2012, 06:45 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

unfortunately ive just been having a hell of a time keeping my lt running right, some of it my fault some of it not. it is still on my to do list though. the only real sticking point is i think id need to make a spacer for where it mounts on the firewall, move where it mounts under dash, and possibly get a longer steering shaft. the columns are pretty cheap, i just need the time to do it! definitely want to though, im trying to make mine look more old school monte, so ive already removed the spoiler and want to do a column shift with buckets and no console. thanks for the interest!