Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): SVS message help

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 10:35 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default SVS message help

What's up guys, its been a while since I've posted on the forums, but I need your help. Recently the Monte has been acting up. I get a "service vehicle soon" message on the dash. It started out a month ago. Well anyway, during the day, all of the interior lights get extremely dim, to the point where I can't see any of them. I have the brightness all the way up and still I can't see. The radio, the gauge cluster, and the over head instrument are what's being effected. Also, I'm not sure if this occurs from the same problem, but when I'm driving, sometimes I suddenly hear really loud engine feedback coming from my speakers. Yes it is an aftermarket system, but it has never done that up until the SVS light message came up. Since I've gotten the message, my car has also blown 2 headlights and a brake light. What worried me the most is the most recent headlights that blew out. I was coming to a stop and suddenly, my whole car's light system began to flicker and the speakers began to make pop noises and once It stopped, I realized that my driver side HID had blown out. By the way, the same side has blown twice. I tried replacing the blown HID last night with the stock headlamp but it didn't turn on. I thought that maybe it was blown too, so I tested the stock headlamp by putting it on the other side (passenger) and it did turn on when I plugged it in there. Sorry for the long post but I was just trying to be detailed so maybe some of you experts could figure it out. If anyone has dealt with anything similar, please help me out. I just have the Monte sitting since one headlight is still out. Thank you.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The first thing I would do is check all of the fuses and relays, I remember when I took out my headlight relay because I get a high beam out message and both my highs and lows are on, but a relay can make that happen

Old 08-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Get your alternator and battery tested to start.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by owens91
The first thing I would do is check all of the fuses and relays, I remember when I took out my headlight relay because I get a high beam out message and both my highs and lows are on, but a relay can make that happen
when i first started out trying to diagnose the issue, i checked a few of the fuses using a tester(the type that has a clip to connect to ground and lights up if it makes contact with a positive charge, and vice versa). i dont really know how to check relays.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by turbo monte
Get your alternator and battery tested to start.
thanks for your response. The alternator charges the battery fine. About 6 months ago, i took my car to pepboys to check out the optima battery i purchased from them because i receive a low battery light very often and I do have an audio system that's pretty heavy on the batt&alt but when they tested it, they said it was perfectly fine. The guy that checked it is actually my friend, hes a parts manager so i doubt he wasn't truthful. But a lot can happen in 6 months so i'll get it checked to be sure

Old 08-20-2013, 03:42 AM

I also noticed that the headlights stay in day mode only now. Before, at night, the lights would have 3 different positions(auto, parking lamps only, and on) and now, even at night, if i go to the middle position, the headlamps stay on as if the lights were on day mode. I really hope its not my BCM

Old 08-20-2013, 07:37 PM

quick update, i ran the tester on the headlamp wire and it is not receiving a positive charge. So i began with the testing of the fuses and found that the EXT LIGHTS/DRL fuse is blown so ill go pick up some fuses shortly to see if that begins to solve my problem. one thing i noticed when i was checking the fuses on the inside, on the drivers side, it has a normal fusebox and then a piece that is covered and according to the cover of the panel that shows the diagram for the fusebox, it says that there is a headlamp relay in that box that is covered. i popped open the top and i saw no relay in there. I just saw a few wires leading into slots. It maybe some sort of unconventional relay? Due to that, i was unable to test the relay for the headlamps

Old 12-24-2013, 06:11 PM

My wife's 04 ss had this problem for the past month. I finally checked it out by switching the fuel pump frelay with the identical drl relay (suspect). SVS light went out, lights went intense after taking car outside of garage.Wife complained that it happened again so I bent relay connections a tad; and, greased them up. NO Problems anymore.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:01 AM

Please, some one have news about how I can rest the Service Vehicle Soon?? I hate see the light on all the time...I check the codes and nothing is wrong on my car Monte Carlo ss 04.
Thanks!!