Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Subs in the back seats.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 09:39 PM

yeah i have thought about it. i was just trying to figure out what the sound quality would be like behind my seat.. it would be easier to mount and wire. Yeah i want the type Rs but they are extremely expensive.. 250$ each

Old 02-25-2011, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by DBS MC
That's not true at all....take a poll here and i'm sure the majority of people who have systems have rear speakers.

I don't know how that would sound (subs behind the front seats facing forward). Why would you go that route over just putting subs where they normally go, in the trunk?
from my parts they do, and the forums i come from. i hang around DIYMA. those guys are the true professionals, my knolage base holds no candle to some of them guys. but yes, ive had this argument many times and i used to be on the other side but really. try it, and you'll see what eveyrone is talking about..you wont even care that their gone. in my setup. dont get me wrong its not a necesity to remove them if their doing no harm. long as their played low and dont have any distotions more power to them, in fact i have some nice 6x9's in my rear deck but i run them as subs, they run right above my sub.

and 250$ for a good sub is nothing. remember you get what you pay for. but that aside, i use mostly used or dealer cost audio only. i got all my hybrid gear used. got my JBL stuff at dealer cost.

dont get stuck on one brand though, those type r's are nice, but many good subs out their.

why dont you think about something smaller, and lets talk about the rear deck a bit more, you could easily get away with some 8's up their. such as these
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...o-8W3V3-4.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...nch-P2D28.html

the RF's are nice, but dont play as low as the JL's.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...s-G108-44.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...TS-SW841D.html

these would be the cats meow for osme 8's if you ask me right here. play pl;enty low, and will even pick up some of those higher notes if you wanna run them like that. i woudlnt expect anything over 1200 would sound very good, but it'll add a little extra clarity in the rear seat for when you do have people back their, i ocasionaly am the DD and stuff, so i always like to have something for them to enjoy back their
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_26528_DLS-OA8.html

Last edited by walkingonabullet; 02-25-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

^^^
Nice decisions on the 8s haha.. They are the 2 im stuck between for my doors. Im going with the RFs for now because of price.. although id rather have the JL w3. I love the way JL w3 sound and their super clear.

Boxman. If you willing to get some custom work done. You could easily put 8s in the doors too.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:00 PM

i just like alpine. although im a serious noobie when it comes to this stuff so its all a learning experience here. id like to do this with the least amount of modification. its not a show car or anything so im not trying to get too crazy. although i kinda like the idea of 8s in the rear deck.. im gonna see what i can do.. if i put them on the floor like i was talking about before.. would i get alot of noise out side the car like it rattling? what are my gains to putting them behind the front seats? and what are the gains to putting 8s in the deck?

Old 02-25-2011, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by jaws2008
^^^
Nice decisions on the 8s haha.. They are the 2 im stuck between for my doors. Im going with the RFs for now because of price.. although id rather have the JL w3. I love the way JL w3 sound and their super clear.

Boxman. If you willing to get some custom work done. You could easily put 8s in the doors too.
jaws if price is an issue and you want clarity, this woofer will **** all over that RF IMO.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...DLS-W308B.html

Old 02-25-2011, 11:46 PM

Add a amp to the 6x9s or get one sub and throw a amp on both rear and sub. Regardless if you are looking for clarity whether in the trunk or the backseat you need to get sound deadener ie...dynamat, fatmat, peel and seal. Most people put the sub in the trunk to focus on deadening the doors and the trunk mainly and not worry too much about the roof and floor. It's a lot of work to dynamat an entire floor.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by walkingonabullet
from my parts they do, and the forums i come from. i hang around DIYMA. those guys are the true professionals
The people from your parts and the forums you go to are nowhere near the majority of car audio people, not even close. Those guys on DIYMA are part of a very small fraction of car audio guys who have extreme OCD when it comes to the hobby. They are definitely a SQ focused bunch over there, for sure so take the same poll and you're guaranteed to see the exact opposite of what you'd find here. Make no mistake though, my comment was based on you saying "most car audio guys don't run them (rear speakers)" That's true of most SQ car audio guys for sure. I'm not a bonafide SQ guy but I do prefer having no rear fill in my systems. But if your front stage isn't strong enough, this setup won't sound good at all. So anyone looking at ditching the rear speakers, make sure your front stage is solid!

Old 02-26-2011, 02:19 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

why not get a shallow mount and turn it sideways in the trunk, out of the way and still some bass.

dont take the rear speakers out unless you get more into a system, thatd just be pointless and you'd lose more than youd gain

Old 02-26-2011, 03:43 AM

X2 For you I reccommend Kenwood.

Kenwood is a great stock replacement company. There prices are reasonable and I'm sure they can accomplish when you need.

Alpine is another great company but there more high end, as you see in the price.

A company to stay away from is any company the Wal mart has lol. Low end Sony is crap, and durabrand isn't good either.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:55 AM

i didnt know i had to dynomat the car even with just 10s? what about just 1 10?

Trewyn. i have thought about doing that. and is probably what im gonna do. i was just thinking out of the box.

Goth kid. i looked at some Kenwood subs. sonic electronix has one for 50$ its 1 1/4 inches bigger but that shouldnt really be a problem.

Okay basically when i started this thread i wanted to know.. if this was just a bad idea.
What are the advantages of having it in the trunk? when i thought about putting it behind the front seats i had the image of extended cab trucks since thats how they do it.

Quick Reply: Subs in the back seats.