Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Stumbled across this. A few questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 07:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Hey, thanks again for the response. Ill probably go with the built in tweeters.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:12 PM

Not a problem at all, they should sound great no mater what. Im not sure on the doors of the 5th gens but if they are like mine the 5 1/4's are already aimed toward the passenger so you should not have any problems at all.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:14 AM

IMO, if you're going to spend the money on a set of component speakers (they're usually more expesnive than normal coaxials)- you really should consider an amp.

What all are you looking to change with your stock system? If you want a significant change in loudness, an amp is the only way to go. You can get a little more volume with more efficient speakers- and maybe a little more power with a new deck (remember, its working off the same amount of input power- so it can't put out significantly more than a stock deck); but you're never going to make a drastic change in volume levels without putting more power into the system (ie new power cable running to an amp).

Replacing the deck and speakers will definitely make it cleaner, change the tone a little, but thats about it. If you want a good bit more bass, you really should consider even a small 8" or 10" sub. 6x9's can never do a good job reproducing the low frequencies like a sub.

Component speakers are also a double edge sword- on the upside, you can put the tweeter where you want, and you can greatly improve the clarity and sound stage (since higher frequencies are more directional than lows, you can aim them towards you better)- but they can also ruin it if you install them wrong (ie putting them where they look pretty instead of where they functionally work the best).

Also- don't worry about all the extra connections with a component setup- its almost no harder than installing a regular speaker set. When you run your +/-; instead of hooking it straight to the speaker- you hook it to the crossover input. Then you just run the tweeter output to the tweeter, and the woofer output to the woofer (both regular +/-)- so its only 6 wires total, 4 of which are just 'jumper' wires from the crossover to the speaker parts (something that is already done for you on regular coaxial speakers).

Old 10-03-2009, 06:31 PM

5 Year Member

Hey thanks for your reply bumpin. Ive been figuring and browsing and I think I know what I will eventually get.
These 6x9s:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...er+DS6930.html
These 5 1/4":
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...TS-G1342R.html
And this amp:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...io+TC4004.html

Ill probably get the speakers first and then the amp later and find a headunit that I like and install the amp and headunit at the same time.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:58 PM

That looks like a good little setup, with those 5 1/4" you might have to watch the power too them, that amp does 50 watts rms to each channel and the speakers say they only take 25 watts rms.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:21 AM

5 Year Member

Hey thanks for the tip. I bought the rear speaker already but not the front. I may look at different fronts that will handle the power of the amp.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:27 PM

the rears are a good choice, for the fronts just look for something that will handle at least 50 watts rms and you will be good.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:25 PM

5 Year Member

What do you think about these speakers?
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+ZXi+52CX.html
Ive never heard anything about Hifonics products.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:04 PM

Those would work great for you, Hifonics is a very good company, they have been around for awhile an make bulletproof gear. I have never heard anything bad about any product from hifonics.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:13 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

matt, i really hope you do a "how to install" on all this, it would be great for the other members here! thanks

chris

Quick Reply: Stumbled across this. A few questions