Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Stumbled across this. A few questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 07:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member
Default Stumbled across this. A few questions

I was browsing an audio website and found a deal they were running. Here is the link:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...h+P1692S.html#

Out of sheer curiousity, I have a few questions. Lets say someone were to buy this.
How exactly would you go about installing this? Im a noob to all things audio besides installing headunits and such, but I can do the installation if I know how to set it up and how to run the wiring. I am good with wiring and custom fabrication so that wouldnt be a problem. The kit comes with speakers, tweeters and crossovers. Do you need an amp to run these? Say you were to get this kit, a new headunit and a set of front door speakers, and if necessary, a small amp, what kind of extra wiring would you be looking at having to run. Subs would be out of the picture. Im not a fan of subs and I use my trunk regularly. Im just looking for clear sound and some reasonable bass without the car really bumping. Any imput would be appreciated. Im running out of mods and may be looking at a sound system if its not too much of a PITA. Im making a decent amount of money now and I can afford to start a small project like this soon.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:27 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm no expert with audio stuff at all, but my dad and I did install speakers and a new head unit in my 89 silverado...

If your asking about installing a head unit, there is usually and adapter that you can buy that connects to the factory wiring harness, and plugs into whatever deck you buy.

Wouldnt any the speakers be able to use your existing wire from your stock speakers?

The only wire you would have to run that I know of is for the amp...

Old 09-27-2009, 07:32 PM

hey that looks like a good i dont know much either but i know you wouldn't HAVE to use an amp but if you get one there are kits with everything you should need

Old 09-27-2009, 07:48 PM

5 Year Member

I know how to install headunits and the speakers themselves. Im asking more about the crossovers and the tweeters and how the interconnect to the headunit and the speakers and if I need an amp to run the crossovers and tweeters. Also where I would need to mount the tweeters and crossovers for optimal sound/performance if it even matters. Also, what gauge wiring would be optimal for the installation? If I got the component system for the rear 6x9s, would I have to get compents for the front 5 1/4"s or would just speakers be fine up front. Also, when picking out a headunit, what kind of output and features should I look for? The link looks like a great deal and I wouldnt mind having a better system in the car, just want to do my research before I commit to anything.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:56 PM

5 Year Member

Anyone? Any help would be appreciated. I know there are people here who know about audio systems.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:08 PM

For the back you could go with a coaxial system and just get a component system for the front. The front is generally where you do all your listening from so make that the better set of speakers and the rear is just fill to cover up the gaps in the sound that the fronts don't take care of. You do not need an amp to run aftermarket speakers, the only downside to this is your not going to be using the speakers to their full potential. If you plan on using those fosgate speakers you will want to find an amp that puts out 50-60 watts RMS at 4 ohms. if your looking for an amp look for at least a 4 channel that way you can have one amp running both the front and the back at once. For an amp that size you would be more then fine with 4 gauge wire, you could probably get away with 8 gauge if you want but 4 would leave room for upgrades and overall help with current flow. If you decide against the amp, to run the component system all you would do is hook up the wires from the headunit (which are going to be the stock wires) to the input of the crossover then one set of wires from the crossover to the tweeters and one to the speakers. All crossovers have everything marked its really easy to use them.

This is for a component set up front.
As far as mounting the crossovers and tweeters what you could do, is extend the stock wires with some speaker wire and either mount them in the door or inside the car. that is if you go without an amp. if you chose the amp you can mount them just about anywhere, then all you have to do is run the wire to the tweeter and the other speaker. For the tweeter you can do just about anything they can be mounted in the doors, A-pillars, kick panels. it all depends on what you like. Seeing alot of tweeters are extremely directional speakers you are going to want to try them in some different places before you mount them for good. Tweeters do not send sound in a wide pattern if you go to a store with a car audio display and some component sets turn one on and move around you will hear a very big difference in the sound.

For the headunit reguard less if you want an amp or not find one with 3 pre amp outputs. This way you will be set if you chose to run an amp in the future, this gives 3 RCA outputs on the back of the HU to run amps off of. If you dont want to have to worry about an amp try and find a HU with a higher RMS wattage to each speaker. All of the HU's out there say like 55 X4 watts, or some other number by 4, this is the max wattage of the HU, most places will not tell the RMS value of the HU, generally it is around 15-20 watts. As far as features go it is all up to personal choice, most HU's will have MP3 capability and Ipod control also.

I hope this helps, let me know if you got any questions.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:19 PM

5 Year Member

Thanks alot. That was a very helpful response. You just about covered all my questions. The only other question I have is whether or not component systems are specific to the speakers they come with. For example, if I were to get the components in the link above, would I have to use the tweeters and crossovers with the speakers they come with or could I buy the components and then just use the speakers in the back and use the tweeters and crossovers with whatever door speakers I get? Thanks again for your response.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:31 PM

Yes you can use crossovers and tweeters from one system on another system. All the crossover does is separate the signal from the HU into at a certain freq and sent the highs to the tweeter and the lows to the speakers From what i know finding just a speaker alone might be hard, from all the looking i have done i have always seen the component sets, or the coaxial which have the tweeters built onto the speaker. One thing i could see that might work is to put the speakers in the back and then mount the tweeters up front somewhere, and just have a long wire running from the crossover to where you mount the tweeters. The only problem with this is that if say you get a component set for the front like you were thinking, having the two sets of tweeters in the front could get very harsh very quickly, this might not sound the best.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:20 PM

5 Year Member

Thanks again. That answered my question and answered another that I didnt even know I had, if that makes any sense, lol. I never knew that the tweeters in the center of alot of the speakers were the same as seperately mounted tweeters. Let me ask you this (im sorry I know this is alot of questions), If I were to just get 6x9s for the rear and 5 1/4"s up front, all with the tweeters in the center, would the sound output be as good as with seperately mounted tweeters? Im assuming the speakers with tweeters built in do not need the crossovers. Im thinking now, headunit, small amp and speakers all the way around with the tweeters built in. What do you think. You have been really helpful. Thanks.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:31 PM

Its generally stated that speakers with tweeters built in do not sound as good as the seperate component sets. Most of the reasoning behind this is like a said before on how directional tweeters are. With them built onto the speaker it limits the mobility of the tweeter and does not let you aim them as much. For just a simple system like what you are looking for, your idea would work just fine. The speakers with tweeters built in do have somewhat of a crossover but nothing like a component set will have. In my old exploder i had just 5x7 speakers with tweeters built on and they were in all the stock speaker positions and the truck sounded pretty good. btw i have no problems answering questions like this, ask away.

Quick Reply: Stumbled across this. A few questions