Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Stock Head unit Aux. input

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 02:47 AM
Default Stock Head unit Aux. input

Does anyone know of a auxiliary input for the 2002 Montes(SS non-bose) stock head unit?

I know there is a gm ipod interface, but im looking to do it cheaper with a headphone jack input.

Is there any kind of input on these radios?

Thanks everyone.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

don't think so. the gm interface thing is talked about in this thread: https://montecarloforum.com/forum/sh...highlight=ipod. it seems like the cheapest option without actually replacing the factory radio.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:46 PM

According to Crutchfield the Precision Interface Electronics GM12-AUXv2 will work.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_469GM12...2.html?tp=1672

In my 2004 i use the next version up from this one, just from looking at the two i see no differences in the two. Installation was simple, and it works great. Cheapest i found it was about $50 with shipping.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:53 PM

so what is the difference between that one and the gm one? the gm one is expensive, IMO, i like the idea of that one (the one you posted) better. sounds like a better option since i eventually want to swap out the headunit but i would be able to use my ipod with this in the meantime. does it charge your ipod? thanks for the heads up!!!

Old 04-15-2009, 02:10 AM

well i bought a new head unit and it was rediculous to have it installed. They said i needed 3 wiring harnesses(totaling about $300), and even then if i got a low tire light or something i would have to pull it all out and put the stock stereo back in reset it, then unhook and reinstall the aftermarket one. Sounded pretty dumb to me.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by herbykw
well i bought a new head unit and it was rediculous to have it installed. They said i needed 3 wiring harnesses(totaling about $300), and even then if i got a low tire light or something i would have to pull it all out and put the stock stereo back in reset it, then unhook and reinstall the aftermarket one. Sounded pretty dumb to me.
you dont have to keep the factory radio, why would you need 3 wiring harnesses? you can reset the oil life and low tire pressure without the factory radio. read post #5 on the link below!
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/how-do-you-reset-warning-lights-7069/

Old 04-15-2009, 09:01 AM

i don't know about 3 different wiring harnesses, however with some aftermarket HU's (like the one i want and this is the only reason i know this) you need different adapters to make things keep working. maybe this is what herby meant? one if you want the door chimes/onstar to keep working; one to make the steering wheel controls work; and depending on options you have, you may need one (two in the case of the jensen radio i was looking at before) to keep the xm radio working. all these things plus the actual wiring harness make for what i would assume to be a tight, possibly damn-near impossible installation of an aftermarket HU. i know this is the problem i am running into anyway with the pioneer that i want. it almost doubles your cost after you buy the HU.

this is why i think the PIE GM12-AUXv2GM12-AUXv2 might be a good alternative for me, at least until the jackass that i got into the accident with pays my deductible back to me and i can buy the pioneer HU that i want. i just wanna listen to my ipod with no static!! :O

Old 04-16-2009, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by ChevySSGirl
i don't know about 3 different wiring harnesses, however with some aftermarket HU's (like the one i want and this is the only reason i know this) you need different adapters to make things keep working. maybe this is what herby meant? one if you want the door chimes/onstar to keep working; one to make the steering wheel controls work; and depending on options you have, you may need one (two in the case of the jensen radio i was looking at before) to keep the xm radio working. all these things plus the actual wiring harness make for what i would assume to be a tight, possibly damn-near impossible installation of an aftermarket HU. i know this is the problem i am running into anyway with the pioneer that i want. it almost doubles your cost after you buy the HU.

this is why i think the PIE GM12-AUXv2GM12-AUXv2 might be a good alternative for me, at least until the jackass that i got into the accident with pays my deductible back to me and i can buy the pioneer HU that i want. i just wanna listen to my ipod with no static!! :O
see i could undstand two(exne for the HU, one for the steering controls). but the one for the radio should take care of the radio,onstar, and chimes. i see what your saying about about it, but just doesnt seem fesible. chevygirl, are you shopping around for this radio like lets say...EBAY! a jensen double din shouldnt be that expensive and neither would your two harnesses. i fetched both my double din jvc and harness for less than 450 brand new!

Old 04-16-2009, 10:46 PM

i decided against the jensen and have decided to go with a pioneer HU, either the avic-f700bt or f900bt. haven't decided on which yet. i didn't realize the adapter for the chimes/onstar was the wiring harness, i thought it was a separate thing. there are a couple of different ones on crutchfield, this one was the one i think keeps everything working (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120OSLA...n-Adapter.html). some of the cheaper ones don't retain certain features.

anyway the pioneers that i'm looking at, the cheapest i've found so far (for the 700) was from www.dealercostcaraudio.com (thanks to space for that link!) and it was $414 - a LOT cheaper than i've found it elsewhere (i saw it at best buy the other day for around $850!!!!). one of my mechanics from work referred me to a car audio place that could probably install it. but we haven't had time to go over the specifics with the pioneer yet. the quote he'd gotten for me from them was about $900-ish; that was for installation, the adapters and a pioneer (assuming i'd be buying the HU from them) but he wasn't sure of the model. if they won't install a HU that i buy myself and/or they don't have the one i want (or won't give me a decent price on it) then i have no idea where to have it installed and i wouldn't take it on myself. once i get the $$ in a month or two, i'll figure everything out. thanks for the heads-up on the wiring harness, that will save me $ and room behind the HU!

Last edited by ChevySSGirl; 04-16-2009 at 10:49 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-17-2009, 10:37 AM

now i know the difference between getting of ebay and crutchfield, but crutchfield is such a rip off. here is some links to your two hu you wanted and the wiring harness for cheaper than crutchfield(after paying thier prices, your wallet will be on one!) just keep searching for the best price you can get. and make sure your not paying to much for install

for avic-f700
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

for f900bt
http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=f90...00bt&_osacat=0

for GMOS-LAN-02(wiring harness)
http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=GMO...00bt&_osacat=0

Quick Reply: Stock Head unit Aux. input