Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

stock amp

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 12:48 AM
Default stock amp

I have an 04 monte carlo ss and i was wondering how you could hook up an amp and subs wiht keeping the stock head unit? Could i splice the wires from the stock amp to a bigger amp and go to the subs from there or what should i do? I also need a place to find a online speaker wireing diagram anyone have any ideas?

Old 11-28-2005, 04:39 AM
Default RE: stock amp

ok here ya go,
1. wireing diogram. Good luck i havent found one yet but have found some for other versions of the cars. they dont seem to vary to much.

2. Amp install.
I have my stock head unit in place and also a sub box with 12" alpines in it. and a hiphonics amp pushing them.
You can achive this by running the normal kit for your amp and wireing it all in to place.
Then you go get a hi low box. they have 4 wires on them for stero use. (you need to use this one on our cars other wise it will not work)

It hooks in to the wires for your peakers on the car. then you plug your R.C.A cabels directly to it and turn up the gaion controll on this box. Now mount everythign and run the remote to a switch power point and ground the amp close by.
This set up will allow you to have the factory head unit and a after market amp for your subs. also allows the factory amp to push the front speackers like normal.
Works great and no fuss.

I have my remote ran up to the front of the car knowing i plan to change the head unit out eventually but havent done it yet.
i would like to get the 04 version for my 03 SS with the MP3 and tape CD player then i would not need to change the head unit in my car at all.

But will do so so i can get the GPS system to.

Also look around this site and do a serch in here for it there is a long thread in here all about how to do this someplace

Old 11-28-2005, 10:02 AM

mickey where would i find the hi low box you were talking about

Old 11-28-2005, 12:36 PM

im not real sure what stores you have there im in Germany .
But i would think someplace like Best By's or somethign of that sort would have it. pretty much anythign that would sell stero stuff would have them just let them know you want to get the signal from the factory speakers to add RCA's to your factory system they should know exactly what your talking about. All it is a small box that give you the ability to hook in RCA cabels to a stero that dont have them already . Or to expand if you want to to have them on your stero.

Mine i think was like 15.oo eruro so the converstion should be about 20-30 bucks state side.

Old 11-29-2005, 09:23 PM

so i dont even hook a remote wire up or if so where do i hook it up to

Old 11-30-2005, 05:42 AM

not unless your running a aftermarket amp Whitch i hope you are with subs the stock wont take it.

But i have my remote hooked up to key switch power . I used one of the plugs in the car that was not being used by any thing else and hooked it in to the term on it that has power only when the car is on.
This allows it to shut off when my car is off and turns it on with my keys.

Yes you have to hook a remote up for any amp that you install.

Old 12-01-2005, 11:49 PM

For what it's worth (and not to ambush the thread) I have read in several places that there was a definite difference when completely bypassing the outboard amp.

I (reluctantly) tried this, just by running jumpers in the harness. I'll tell ya what. The improvements were SUBSTANTIAL. I went so far as to completely cut, solder, and shrink tube the connections to permanently bypass the amp. This is all with aftermarket Boston Acoustic 6x9's however. YMMV with stocker speakers.

Granted, I will be putting in a good aftermarket amp in the near future, but in the meantime, it definitely helps out ALOT.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:30 PM

hey i was wondering is that a direct replacement the 04 mp3, i also have the one with xm does everything hook up..?

Old 08-10-2006, 01:58 AM

Hey. . . .I have my aftermarket amp and subs hooked up to my stock head unit. . . .all I needed was the wiring kit for the amp, and an RCA adapter. Thats IT. You can find the RCA adapter at Best Buy. Thats where I bought mine and had my friend that works there help me install it.

Its very easy. All he did was splice into the factory amp wires, run the RCA to that, plug the red and white RCA cables to that, and to my amp and so on. Its really not hard. You can take it to any best buy if you wanted it done easily, and get it all hooked up for 60 bucks.

Hope this might help some.

MonteriderLS out.

Also check out my post earlier in this section called "hooking up amp to stock radio" You'll definitly find all yours answers there if I didn't help you any.