Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Still have a radio problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 09:55 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Still have a radio problem

About a month ago, I lost all interior sound in my car (AM/FM radio, CD player, driver message beeps, etc). I initially thought the amp was bad, so i borrowed an amp and plugged it in, nothing. So then I thought my wiring might be bad, but its all stock so idk how that could be bad. The led me to the head unit. I bought a used stock head unit and put it in. It is locked as of now, but I found a way to temporarily unlock it, only when the key is in the car and the car is off. I unlocked the radio, no sound though anything. Also, traction control beep doesn't make any sound as well as all other beeps. Is none of this stuff supposed to work until the radio gets unlocked? I want to make sure its my head unit, because I don't want to spend $100+ to get it unlocked if my radio isn't the issue. Any suggestions anyone?

The car is an 04 by the way if that matters

Old 04-23-2014, 08:23 AM
5 Year Member

Bumppp

Old 04-23-2014, 09:41 AM

What did u do before you lost your sound? You check your fuses?

Old 04-23-2014, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member

Checked fuses yes. Didn't really do anything it just went away. I had an issue where the speakers would crackle like when I opened the car door, before I even got in the car, and the car was off

Old 04-23-2014, 12:25 PM

Any aftermarket speakers you know of? Or any aftermarket wiring at all? Also would it crack alot during a car drive, such as if you were going over a bump, it would cut on or off or you would hear alot of static of a moment then itll go away?

Old 04-23-2014, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member

No aftermarket anything. It would static a lot, fade out for like 10 seconds, fade back in randomly. Did that for like two weeks before I lost all sound

Old 04-24-2014, 02:04 PM

you have a wire loose somewhere brodie. Are you orig owner of car? A piece of wire is touching metal causing a effect in your system. Which speaker static'd the most?

Old 04-24-2014, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member

The front ones staticed more then the rear (they don't anymore cuz there's nothing at all now sound wise). I am the second owner of the car. Where would be most likely the wire would be loose?

Old 04-25-2014, 07:37 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like a bad ground to me. Double check the connectors at the amp - in particular connector C1 (audio out to speakers). Cleaning the connectors with electronic cleaner will help to remove any oxidation on the connector legs.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:23 AM

Generally most people only change out front speakers in these cars cause they are the easist, the back a B ! But I would check the wires make sure they arent bouncing and touching metal or any other connections. Then like the above post stated, check your amp, a bad ground will cause a loop as well. Static is generally caused by something touching. Are you sure prev owner didnt remove the factory radio and put a aftermarket in?

Quick Reply: Still have a radio problem