Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

7th Gen ('06-'07): steering wheel and hvac controlls

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 04:39 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default steering wheel and hvac controlls

ok I just ordered a steering wheel off of ebay for 75 dallars it is leather wrapped one to replace the wheel that is peeling the hard rubber type.

I do have a question though about the hvac controls though. can I switch it out to the independent type or is it just ok to keep it stock?

would the other type of controls a head ach or would it be a better type that's what I wanted to ask.

Mine is just generic and wanted it to be a little better than what came stock on my ls.

thank you for the input

the stock steering wheel didn't have the radio controls would I have to get it linked some how other than hooking up the wires?

Old 05-21-2016, 12:36 PM
15 Year Member

well bright news on my end there are only three wired behind the airbag. two for the bag and one for the steering wheel. I just have to figure out how to take the old one off and put this leather wrapped one on. the wheel that I have on now is well pitting badly now. when I came across this one some one took it off of the steering collom so I am not sure on how hard it is to switch. the steering wheel I don't have a steering wheel removal tool. the way it looks the bag wires goes threw the wheel. and there are power wires for the control of the cruise control and radio. with one conector for that

I need input if I missed any thing for the wheel.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by monte07
well bright news on my end there are only three wired behind the airbag. two for the bag and one for the steering wheel. I just have to figure out how to take the old one off and put this leather wrapped one on. the wheel that I have on now is well pitting badly now. when I came across this one some one took it off of the steering collom so I am not sure on how hard it is to switch. the steering wheel I don't have a steering wheel removal tool. the way it looks the bag wires goes threw the wheel. and there are power wires for the control of the cruise control and radio. with one conector for that

I need input if I missed any thing for the wheel.
You need to remove the nut on the wheel & use a puller to remove the wheel. Then install the new wheel & put the nut back on.
The one wires go to the air bag the other wire is for the horn .

Old 05-22-2016, 04:29 AM
15 Year Member

I just wanted to double check thank you for the help. because when there was talk about the steering wheels before it was a little info for it. didn't want to assume.
but thank you for the info. yes I know it is a used leather wrapped wheel but it is in better condition than the one on my monte. that hard rubber is pitting like the wheel that I had on my cavalier kind of miss that thing. got great mpg I would let that monte sit for a week and drive it on the weekends type of thing.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:49 PM
15 Year Member

well I no longer have a steering wheel puller when I asked the autozone guy if they have a steering wheel puller he said what we have on the shelf you can use. ok where can I find one to pull mine off with that actually will work with out breaking any thing and actually will work?

Old 07-28-2016, 06:54 PM
15 Year Member

I do have a 2 part question though

I did get a steering wheel puller that works with gm steering wheels for our gens

question number one is

1. how long do I need to have the battery disconnected to do the steering swap

2. is I never had radio controls on my original wheel and the one I found in the salvage to new home yard had one leather in good condition has the speaker controls.
do I need to have some thing programed or need some thing for that option to work? thanks for the help