Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

SQ build

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 09:49 PM
3 Year Member

yeah, running passive for now, eventuly taking this active with a 3rd pdx amp, probobly a 4.150 or a 2.150. the pdx amps are by far my faverate amps, ive ran em on a 4 hour road trip, parked and checked and their as cold as ice. incredible little beasts. wish i could get the f6 and the f12 though, their beuaitful amps, and the f6 has 1200 rms.

those wanting to invest in an ms-8 perhaps for stock or otherwise, this is a legitimate site, directly from JBL these are 450$, this is bottom line 3rd party price right here
http://www.dynamicautosound.net/jbl-ms-8.html

I got mine direct but with out an account through JBL, and associates, you can not get those prices, sorry. but this is the next best price period. also might i add best buy, now offers the 2nd party price which is slightly lower than this price, but only to employees of best buy, likley those int he automotive department. so if you know somebody who works at best buy. happy hunting

Last edited by walkingonabullet; 01-22-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:09 AM
3 Year Member

alright, some updates on the plans.

first, might not go with the z120, might wait for the z130bt to come out (in march) on the fence on that, idk fi i like the new UI, but we'll see.

i'll be changing the spot where i mount the tweeters and mid range, i'm going with a 3 way set, with 4" and a 1" tweeter up on the A pillars. as shown in this image below of very similer speakers to what i have chosen

also, changed the plans on speakers. going with hybrid. first, 4" mid range 1" soft dome tweeter and a 7" mid woofer. the stage 3 L4, L1V2, and the L6. i'll be going over the zpecs and choices, to compare the top level teir from hybrid and why i've gone with what i have.

first, the L1V2's

the specs

below is a graph dispalying the frequency responses and the play levels corasponding to them.

now that we'v e seen those, lets compare the TOP level pro series from hybrid. the L1 R2 1" radial dome tweeter, which is DOUBLE the price of the L1V2's.

the specs

the graph

moving on, time to go over the mid ranges, the l4's, which are 4" standard soft cone drivers, with INCREDIBLE ranges, as you can see below on the specs.

specs

graph

alright, again lets compare those to the top teir models.

the specs

the graph

as you can see, very comparible, the jagged edges of the L4SE to me read as very unstable speakers, ive heard they play smoother with real music, and that tones play harsher on them. but really, again a 10% increase for double the price

moving on to the woofers, the L6's, now these bad boys.

the specs

the graph

as you can see, they can play extreamly well from 100-1k hrz, very stable. incredible speakers if you ask me. they can play very high, but thers realy no need for it, the mid ranges will cover most of the sound i'll be hearing in my staging.

i'll be getting my tax return on the 11th, which is a considerible amount of money, i'll be putting that towards the upgrades.

all in all, with speakers and the 3rd amp, it'll run just under 1000$ for this particular upgrade. + the 1000 for the deck and accessory's.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:29 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

nice man !!! congrats !!

Old 02-02-2011, 01:39 PM
3 Year Member

just to show you the kind of speakers we're tlaking about, comparing these 4" drivers to some other 4" drivers out there
heres a 4 ohm 4" mid driver for home speakers, but could easily work in a car. but look at what kind of responses we're getting in the 5k-10k hrz range on the hybrids compared to the cheaper drivers

now the cheaper driver

as you can see, anything over 2k hrz, the drive just falls apart in terms of response, creating mass distortion.

heres another 4" driver

Last edited by walkingonabullet; 02-02-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:04 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I hear ya man LOL no pun intended. That is why I got my focals they weren't cheep but worth every penny I spent focal krx2-165 KRX2
http://www.focal-america.com/category/speakers/

Old 02-02-2011, 03:23 PM
3 Year Member

oh yeah those Krx2's are something special, i just dont like the high end of focal, their 3 way sets are exceptional though. oh and their high end subs mmmm MMMM good. still I'd prefer to stick with my w12gti mkii any day of the week :P

Old 02-07-2011, 01:22 AM
3 Year Member

alright just a slight change of plans, not doing 3 way, just gonna do 2 way, with a center, with the 6x9's still int he rear. just seemed kind of a bit much with all of that.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:39 PM
3 Year Member

ordered the drivers, went with L6 woofers, L4 mids, no tweeters, and a L4 center, but i need to find a shop to do the install on the center :\ idk i might not go with it, i did order it though, we'll see. maybe i'll just hold onto it.

anyways, the L4's come next week the l6's come tomorow, and my new amp..i have no idea when but hopefully soon :\

Old 02-16-2011, 07:24 PM
3 Year Member

just got the woofers today, and the center. also got the distro blocks for the new amp the other day. going to have this stuff installed next week. and this friday they calling for 60 degrees, so hopfully i'll be able to get some glassing in my trunk done hopefully have a prototype for my sub box done. ive never really done any glassing, at least in car audio, so it'll probobly take an attempt or two.

Last edited by walkingonabullet; 02-16-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by walkingonabullet
just got the woofers today, and the center. also got the distro blocks for the new amp the other day. going to have this stuff installed next week. and this friday they calling for 60 degrees, so hopfully i'll be able to get some glassing in my trunk done hopefully have a prototype for my sub box done. ive never really done any glassing, at least in car audio, so it'll probobly take an attempt or two.

H.A.T. :drools: Nice product you got there. The only product who's maker has a guaranteed value on the products! Good luck on that fiberglass project....want the best tip/hint for fiberglass work you could ever imagine? After you lay your fabric and resin it, lay your fiberglass from the backside of the piece, not the outside. You'll save yourself tons of time in sanding and filling

Quick Reply: SQ build