Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Anyone know anything about a tutorial for LS EXHAUST install?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 01:08 PM
3 Year Member
Default Anyone know anything about a tutorial for LS EXHAUST install?

As im nearing the end of my body work im looking to spend more money.
Wanting to put in a new (fairly inexpensive) exhaust system on my monte 3400. Never really done any other updates on my car at all other than changing tires and minor body work. I looked around but didnt see much of a tutorial for installing or what you need to give you the nice rumble (not the ricer sound). Seen a couple people did some nice updates it looks like on youtube.com where they spend between 100-200 with some deleted resonators(what ever that means), new tips, dual exhaust and Y pipes.

Any help would be great ! This forum has yet to fail me. Also if i can get pointed in the right direction id be more than happy to make my own how to and post it on here as i am doing with my body work where you can see me getting rid of the rust on my wheel well in the paint/body section.

Any help would be appreciated !

Old 06-20-2011, 01:10 PM
3 Year Member
Old 06-20-2011, 07:24 PM
3 Year Member

Anybody?

Old 06-20-2011, 07:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by mistiksky
Anybody?
Iam not much help my Monte is 3.8 supercharged , I bought SLP Loud mouth mufflers on craigslist new for $100 ,and put them on . They sound nice..

Old 06-20-2011, 08:58 PM
3 Year Member

would those work on a 3400?

Old 06-20-2011, 09:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Any cat-back for the 3800 should fit on the LS, you'll just need to get the left side hangers installed for the left side muffler.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

The reason why you're not going to find a tutorial on how to install an exhaust system is because it's pretty straight forward. If you have a pre-made cat-back exhaust system, then you unbolt the stock exhaust after the cat and bolt the cat-back system in it's place.

If you are good at welding, you can remove the resonators (they're a type
of muffler used to quiet the exhaust more) and mufflers and weld in pipes in their place.

Or you can go to just about any exhaust shop and tell them what you want and they will build you an exhaust system for $300 or more (depends on if the pipes are aluminized or stainless).

From what I hear, Borla mufflers sound the best for GM V6's. They're pricey but they will last.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:40 AM
3 Year Member

Know basically if you know how to weld you cna do it yourself no problem but if you dont then you should have it does buy a body shop? lol

Should i go with straight pipes ?

Old 06-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by mistiksky
Know basically if you know how to weld you cna do it yourself no problem but if you dont then you should have it does buy a body shop? lol
Pretty much

Should i go with straight pipes ?
It's not a practical way to go with our FWD layout. I would go with a slightly larger exhaust then what you have (nothing bigger then 2.5" exhaust). Being that you have an LS though, I would also have a y pipe installed near the rear and do a dual exhaust to make it look good.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:48 PM
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by zipper
Pretty much

It's not a practical way to go with our FWD layout. I would go with a slightly larger exhaust then what you have (nothing bigger then 2.5" exhaust). Being that you have an LS though, I would also have a y pipe installed near the rear and do a dual exhaust to make it look good.
how much do you think this price will be

Quick Reply: Anyone know anything about a tutorial for LS EXHAUST install?