Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Speaker/amp upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 10:08 AM
Default Speaker/amp upgrade

Hi Guys,

I have an '06 Monte SS with the 6-disc changer, XM, etc. but have the standard speaker package. This may sound strange, but I want to keep the stock look in the trunk and still get some really good sound from the car. I would like to replace the speakers and ad an amp to it. What I don't want is a big sub-woofer box in trunk. I was lurking around the local dealership Sunday and there was a new unlocked Monte on the lot that had the "premium" speakers and amp so I took a look at how it was setup in the trunk. Does anyone know if by chance it's prewired for an amp so I can just plug and play, or would I have to wire it from the head unit back? I also have a '98 Camaro with the Monsoon system and that's the type of sound I'm going for here. Any suggestions?

Old 04-02-2007, 02:25 PM
Default RE: Speaker/amp upgrade

as far as i know they will have the wires there for teh Amp, BUT this seems to vary some acrossed the years, and also teh diffrent styles.
I dont have the wires for the onstart system in my car but i know of someone that dose and they dont have the ones for the amp i do but i have the upgraded sound system,

Honestly the factory amps are not real good in tehmontes i belive they are the 200 watt jensen in there. (this also varries some)
if i were in your shoes i would see if you can get to a bone yard and find one and get the amp braket and then i would get a nice solid amp tha tyou can wire in and use the braket to put it in the stock location. as it will just clip in there this way.

But you can alos make them and they will have to be screwed in from the top to the amp taht way.

As far as speakers. If you want good clear sound and not a whole ot of work go with the infinity brand and the series of the Cappa. now there are more then one there and if you do it do your home work on the diffrent ones. But they do give a great sound and also are avalibel in teh right sizes for the car you have as a factory replacment type speaker

I have the speacker box in mine and belive it or not i dont notice it in there i have never had to pull it out to put somethign in the trunk of my car. and also if you get someone to do the install work it can look really nice in there and not like a box was tossed in andthe lid was shut on it.

Good luck

Old 04-02-2007, 05:04 PM

Thanks for the ideas... I'll have to root around in the trunk and see if I can find some wires not being used. I know that on my Camaro, there is a plug in the back for the optional 12-disc changer and was hoping that it would be just as easy to hook up an aftermaket amp in the Monte... We shall see!

Old 04-03-2007, 07:57 AM

I have my kicker main amp mounted to the bottom of the rear deck the sub amp is mounted to the back of the rear seat nice setup the front speaker I got were to big had to mod the door mounts they are 6 1/2 that my car needed but the outer ring was to big but I got them in and love the sound. But the infinitys I put in the rear deck dropped right in