Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

seat odor

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 02:15 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default seat odor

I have a question, what is the best way to deodorize my seat? I was thinking fabreze or something but figured maybe someone in the detailing industry knows of a better solution. Thanks

Old 08-10-2012, 02:55 AM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Stop farting on it...

Old 08-10-2012, 05:10 AM
5 Year Member

Lol its actually the back not the bottom.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:33 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Go nuts with an ozone machine

I would say just hit the seats with a bissel

Old 08-10-2012, 06:18 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Best answer I think is the Bissel Little Green Machine.
I've also been a fan of the Blue Coral Upholstery cleaner (comes in a blue can with it's own scrub brush). If you go over the car with the Blue Coral product, I believe it gives a nice fresh odor.
But if the seat has a foul odor, the Blue Coral product probably won't be enough. Go for the Bissel. You can spray the seat with the cleaning solution (get it wet enough it will sink in, let it sit a couple of moments and then vac it dry). It will more then likely result in MULTIPLE attempts.

With the '02 Grand Am GT I bought, it had a slightly funky odor. The work my brother in law and I did REALLY paid off. We pulled the seats and center console out. Shop vac-ed and Bissel cleaned ALL the cloth. Also used disinfecting Clorox wipes on EVERYTHING else. Got a lot of grime and dirt out of the car!
It did not remove ALL the odor (I know part of but not all of the odor was a result of the previous owner being a smoker). I right now have a bunch of dryer sheets in spots of the car to help serve as an air freshner (as no matter how much cleaning one does, some of the odor is absorbed in the plastic, so you have to let it absorb some other odor).

You might be able to pull the seat cover off and wash the cover in the washing machine (air dry if you do). Not sure if that's a good idea or now. I don't know anyone who has done that, so I can't tell you how it will turn out.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:18 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

There are some good tips here:

How to Remove Odors from Your Car: 11 steps (with pictures)

I have used some of them in the past with good results.
Jason - You should try the vinegar one to remove the cigarette smell from your car. I've used it in the past with good results.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:53 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

Little green machine and a odor eliminator, I have had great sucess with stuff called nature's Medical it's live bactira and enzymes designed to take out pet odor and stains,

Mix up with hot water, soak it down, let is sit i usuallt go to the other side and do the other floor or seat, then suck it out and then go over it again with plain warm water to pull out any left over cleaner,

Last edited by Budsjlm; 08-10-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:27 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Jason - You should try the vinegar one to remove the cigarette smell from your car. I've used it in the past with good results.
When I bought the Camaro it smelled of cigarettes really bad. I took the interior apart and cleaned it all, and then I left an open container of coffee grinds in the car for a few days.

I prefer the smell of coffee to vinegar, and it also worked like a charm

Old 08-10-2012, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the tips guys when i bought the car it smelled, kind of musty old smoke smell. One of the owners was a smoker for sure as theres cigarette burns in a few places. But i'll have to give one of these a try

Old 08-13-2012, 06:14 PM

When I bought my Lumina in July, it was readily apparent that the previous owner was a smoker. The butts in the ash trays were one clue, the overpowering smell was the other. As soon as the door was opened, the smell just smacked me across the face.

I haven't been driving it much, so when I'm home I park it out front with all of the windows down. That alone has helped quite a bit, but chemical intervention will be needed at some point. My dad has one of the Bissell cleaners, so I'm going to give that a try after having read this. Thanks for the useful tips, everyone.

Quick Reply: seat odor