Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Replacing a factory radio with vehicle settings

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Default Replacing a factory radio with vehicle settings

I have an '04 and want to replace the factory radio with a better aftermarket radio. I have been told that problems can occur due to the factory radio having vehicle settings on it, everything from the check engine light coming on to the car running funny till the factory radio was put back in. Does anyone know anything about this??? I want better sound but don't want to mess up my car!! Thanks for the help!

Old 12-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The usual things are check tire pressure sensor and the oil warning going off, the oil can be done by turning the key to the on position and pressing the gas 3 times and the tire pressure and be done by pulling the light **** out i think 3 times also.

as far as the other stuff thats usually taken care of by a tuner or reader.

the car running funny should have nothing to do with the stereo if installed correctly.

One thing, if you plan on putting in after market speakers they will probably not sound the best unless you amp them.

I noticed when i put in my after market headunit with stock speakers that the stock speakers lost bass, but still had good treble, this didnt really affect me because of my sub, but just something to consider.

Also, it is possible to run an after market headunit and relocate the stock headunit to keep the functionality of the stock headunit

Old 12-01-2010, 05:43 PM

Good to hear! Thanks!!

Old 12-01-2010, 06:18 PM

I have found out that the problem people are having is with the Scosche GM09SR interface, it causes a bunch of electrical problems according to online posts...

Old 12-02-2010, 02:13 PM

yeah ive heard about that issue with those boxes. only thing it does is ocasionly forgot to churp when the fob was locking the car, or sometimes the auto lock function woudlnt unlock when you parked lol but nothing thats really more than just annoying than aything and rare and far between. and my monte is an 04 as well so if ya need any help with the install feel free to ask i try to come through a couple times a week.

didnt know about those maunals ways to set tire pressure and oil check lol. never had a problem with them though.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I personally like my Monte's sound system, but I wanted to gain the MP3 on CD ability.

Unlike all my previous cars, I was finding the notion of swapping my factory deck in the Monte to an aftermarket one with that feature (even if I gave up on the wheel controls) very expensive compared ot other car's i've had.

That and to keep the car features I like that the radio controlled, I would have buy an expensive harness and re-mount the factory radio elsewhere in the car (I have a fundamental problem with that idea, why change it if I have to keep it).

I was thrilled when I found I could get a factory radio from a Cavy, mount it directly in, get someone with a GM Tech II to program it and I was all set. I'm still thrilled with it (was done middle of this summer).

But many have gone after market, just takes research to determine what you want to do.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:19 PM

Thanks for the tips!!!

Old 12-05-2010, 05:14 PM

If you want the ability to change and/or reset settings and warning messages and w/o the possibility of other random issues, just relocate your factory deck when you put in the new deck. Problem solved.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:58 PM
Question

hey guys my monte came with a aftermarket stereo installed, but got a new one because first one got stolen sad story. but is there anyway to make the steering wheel controls program with the aftermarked?

let me know

Old 12-06-2010, 08:55 AM

yes, there indeed is my friend allow me to show you some units.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...of-SWI-PS.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...xess-ASWC.html

i've heaard good things about the PAC unit. not sure, you might want to check the site for your deck and see what unit they reccomend. it'll be in details under the steering wheel controls section. bout 3\4 down in most lists.

Quick Reply: Replacing a factory radio with vehicle settings