Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Remote turn on

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 03:55 PM

Most amps also have soft turn on protection to protect it from the turn on thump, audible or not. If the amps sole purpose is to amplify the input signal, how can it be working if the radio is off and its not receiving a signal to amplify? Either way, not working at all or barely working, the difference is like debating if ur home appliances will last longer if u unplug them while ur gone everyday vs. just turning them off, impossible to quantify.

Yep, its only hot when in the acc or on positions as I said above, which is a non-issue given the amps soft turn on protection. But isnt the same true for the decks remote lead? When u turn the key to acc, the deck will come on and in turn turn the amp on bit when u go to crank the car the radio loses power until you release the key back to the on position, right? So whats the difference?

Old 07-27-2011, 03:55 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

pink's a constant power source--that's the one everyone said to go off of and after i'd gotten that volt-meter that was the first one i tested. . . .

--you were right though. . . flawless isn't really a good word for it

Old 07-27-2011, 03:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Originally Posted by bbengineer
The amp is actually working when it's on, it's just not working hard... then when you turn on the radio, you typically get a turn-on thump (even if you can't hear it) which is bad for the amp.
Is that why like when I turn my car off but the radio is still on until I open the door. And then I decide to start the car again before the 10 min it stays on is over, it does that thump thing; its really loud in my car. I try an remember to open the door before starting in these cases cause I was always afraid it was to loud for the speaker and its annoying.

And in other note, I have a 2003 and my cig lighters are always usable even when car is off.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:59 PM

You sure you have the right one.. I actually posted the wrong pin number... it's pin 6 on Radio C1

Originally Posted by GMSI
Radio C1
6 PK Antenna 14V Switched Supply Voltage
The schematics in the service manual clearly show the pink wire as the antenna/amp switched supply

Originally Posted by jaws2008
Is that why like when I turn my car off but the radio is still on until I open the door. And then I decide to start the car again before the 10 min it stays on is over, it does that thump thing; its really loud in my car. I try an remember to open the door before starting in these cases cause I was always afraid it was to loud for the speaker and its annoying.
Yes, and the exact reason you should use the correct lead to turn on the amp

BBEngineer

Old 07-27-2011, 04:03 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Originally Posted by bbengineer
Yes, and the exact reason you should use the correct lead to turn on the amp

BBEngineer
Just wanted to clarify that I have used the correct remote turn on from my HU.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:04 PM

Also, what if your car doesnt have a factory amp, what would you do then?

Old 07-27-2011, 04:06 PM

On both the 00-05 and 06-07, there is an active antenna module that takes a turn on signal from the radio... regardless of whether or not you have an amp

And even you you don't have an amp, the radio still has the turn on wire

BBEngineer

Old 07-27-2011, 04:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think when I get a chance I'm gonna re-try that pink guy. . . . I don't think it worked the last time but after 5+ people saying that's the one to use, it's worth trying again. . . . . if I get to it tonight I'll post something. It'd be a he** of a lot easier than doing what i did. . . . Thanks for the suggestion and i really hope it works.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:09 PM

No problem... if it doesn't work, let me know and I'll see what I can come up with

BBEngineer

Old 07-27-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by jaws2008

And in other note, I have a 2003 and my cig lighters are always usable even when car is off.
If that were the case, and u ran ur remote off that circuit, ur amp would never turn off, right?

If ur using the remote lead on ur deck and still have a crazy loud thump, not good. Ive never had that problem using either the remote lead off the deck or cig circuit.

Quick Reply: Remote turn on