Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Remote turn on

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 11:27 AM
Default Remote turn on

Hi I have a 2007 monte carlo ss and I just installed a kicker 350.4 amp in the trunk. I was wondering can I connect the remote turn on to the XM radio box that is in the trunk passenger side?

Old 07-27-2011, 12:18 PM

Just run ur remote from the fusebox, the cig/aux fuse is perfect for that. Install will be a snap as you wont even have to remove any panels to hide the wire and get it into the trunk. Piggybacking off other components is just asking for trouble, that why on most decks it even says if you plan on powering multiple components off its remote lead to install a relay. Would you rather err on the side of caution or do u want to take a risky shortcut?

Old 07-27-2011, 12:41 PM

I completely disagree...

I don't know why people continue to advocate running the remote wire to a switched source in the fuse box... it's really bad practice

There is no 'remote' wire to the XM receiver, but there is to the factory amp and factory antenna module. It's a pink wire on connector X1 on the radio. It's also on the amp (if equipped) and radio module connectors

BBEngineer

Old 07-27-2011, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by bbengineer
I completely disagree...

I don't know why people continue to advocate running the remote wire to a switched source in the fuse box... it's really bad practice

There is no 'remote' wire to the XM receiver, but there is to the factory amp and factory antenna module. It's a pink wire on connector X1 on the radio. It's also on the amp (if equipped) and radio module connectors

BBEngineer
What makes it a bad practice? I've never experienced any issues doing it this way when integrating an aftermarket amp to the factory system but am willing to learn why I should no longer do it this way.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:45 PM

For one, you leave the amp on regardless of whether the radio is on or off...

Second, you want your amp input in a known state before turning the amp on. Using a switch power source doesn't allow for that as the amp will likely be on before the radio where as using an amp remote wire, the radio has full control over it

Most modern factory radios have a remote turn-on line that you can use to trigger an aftermarket amp...

The PAC adapters that will give you RCA line out of these factory radios also provide a radio triggered remote turn-on lead

BBEngineer

Old 07-27-2011, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by bbengineer
For one, you leave the amp on regardless of whether the radio is on or off...

Second, you want your amp input in a known state before turning the amp on. Using a switch power source doesn't allow for that as the amp will likely be on before the radio where as using an amp remote wire, the radio has full control over it

Most modern factory radios have a remote turn-on line that you can use to trigger an aftermarket amp...

The PAC adapters that will give you RCA line out of these factory radios also provide a radio triggered remote turn-on lead

BBEngineer
I havent tested this theory to be able to dispute it, however, if in fact the amp is on regardless if the radio is on or off why is that a bad thing? The amp isnt actually working, just the power led should be lit up. Besides that, most of the guys going so far as to installing power amplifiers arent driving around with the radio turned off, kind of defeats the purpose. Lastly, if this turns out to be true, I think its not such a bad thing considering the decrease in wear and tear on the remote relay inside the amp. As you know, relays get worn over time from the constant on/off action, Ive had to open many a relay and clean the contacts to get our equipment at work to function properly.

Second, running the remote off the cig/aux fuse in these cars is perfectly fine because that circuit is only hot when the key is in the on/acc position or for a few minutes afterward if you have turned the car off and not yet opened the door but as soon as you open the door the circuit isnt hot anymore. So when you go to get in your car in the morning to leave you know what state ur remote power source is in before you turn the amp on, its off just like all the other accessories in the car.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:52 PM

But again, how is it a bad thing if when u get in ur car and start it up that the amp comes on before the radio?

If you were to look at any amp installation manual it tells you to use the remote lead on the deck or any other switched input source that gets triggered by the ignition, so im thinking that if doing so was so bad they wouldnt tell you to do it for liability reasons.

Please dont take this as arguing, cant learn if you dont ask questions, right? I have the utmost respect for your knowledge with the electronics on these cars, im just trying to get a better understanding as to the how's and why's, or in this case the why not's.

Last edited by Milhouse; 07-27-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:56 PM

The amp is actually working when it's on, it's just not working hard... then when you turn on the radio, you typically get a turn-on thump (even if you can't hear it) which is bad for the amp.

Plenty of amps don't use relays, rather FETs for turn on and there is no real where and tear.

As far as the the fuse only being on when the key is on, actually, it's on for a split second as the key goes to accessory, then off again when the key goes to crank, then on again when the key returns to accessory creating even more wear and tear on the relay and the amp itself...

You guys are free to do what you want, but from all of my experience (including my professional mobile electronics days), using a fuse as a remote turn-on is an absolute last resort

BBEngineer

EDIT: Looking at the 07 schematics, it looks like the Cig/Aux is connected to B+ constant, not ignition

EDIT2: Looked at the 00-05 schematics and the CIG/AUX fuse is indeed only hot in Acc and Run, not in crank

Last edited by bbengineer; 07-27-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Here's a thread i had from awhile ago when I was trying to find the same thing

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/in...mp-wire-26174/

I've since found out that it's (somehow) connected to automatic headlights switch. I've got it fused as a precaution, but I'm still looking for other options since I really don't know if this is ok for the electrical system, or audio system and i really don't want to have an electrical issue involving the headlights. During the day, i've got to switch the lights to the aux. lights (amber lights) instead of the regular headlights to keep power going to the "remote" wire and at night when the lights come on automatically, there's not a problem. I've taken the monte to the dealership here in town (for a completely unrelated issue) and I mentioned that finding a remote wire on this thing was a pain and even he was havin trouble finding a good wire to tap into.

Like I said, I'm still looking for a dedicated wire that comes on with the car and turns off with the car. This was the closest I could find and it's worked flawlessly so far.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:45 PM

I wouldn't really call that 'flawlessly'... the fact that you have to turn on your parking lights to turn on your amp is far from ideal

The 06+ Monte electrical system is much different than the prior gen as most of the power is enabled with messages on the GMLAN bus to various modules

As I stated above, there is a pink wire out of the back of the radio to the factory amp and to the antenna module that you can use as an amp trigger...

BBEngineer

Quick Reply: Remote turn on