Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 09:35 AM

I used to use this CompuStar 2W900FMR-5P model. It kicks major ***. The range is a bit less than advertised on the remote to car part, but the car to remote range was quite good. More than I could run to get to the car to stop anyone. Plenty of features. I would try and get it with the aux remote then buy the main remote later as your budget fits. Sorry I don't have time to go through ebay auctions to find you the best deal.

Goodluck with it. When you wire it go SLOW. You want to make sure everything works correctly.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:57 PM

if you order online... if you have it professionally installed they won't give you the lifetime warranty you normally would get. You'll probably only save 100$ all around.

viper & compustar are both high quality, pick that one that fits your needs.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:01 PM

I thought you said you didn't like DEI, but then you posted a Viper above?

Anyways, I personally haven't had problems with them- installed them at CC for a long time. A lot of times the range has more to do with antenna placement than anything. I wouldn't pay attention to the whole "1 mile" thing either, I've been out of installing just over a year, but all the 1 mile transmittters barely seem to hit 1/4 mile (granted the ones I've tried were all 2 ways).

If you just want a basic remote start, I put a DEI Valet unit on my GP, it was cheap (I want to say like $40 at employee price, so I'm sure its the same on ebay) and did remote start + keyless.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by iMSeRiOuS
if you order online... if you have it professionally installed they won't give you the lifetime warranty you normally would get. You'll probably only save 100$ all around.

viper & compustar are both high quality, pick that one that fits your needs.

I've always been curious, what do they actually consider professionally installed? I was going to install it myself and I'm ASE certified in electrical. Would they consider that professional? or do you need to be approved by them

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
I thought you said you didn't like DEI, but then you posted a Viper above?

Anyways, I personally haven't had problems with them- installed them at CC for a long time. A lot of times the range has more to do with antenna placement than anything. I wouldn't pay attention to the whole "1 mile" thing either, I've been out of installing just over a year, but all the 1 mile transmittters barely seem to hit 1/4 mile (granted the ones I've tried were all 2 ways).

If you just want a basic remote start, I put a DEI Valet unit on my GP, it was cheap (I want to say like $40 at employee price, so I'm sure its the same on ebay) and did remote start + keyless.

I actually didn't know viper was dei, lol, I only had experience with one on my old Bonnie and the only complaint was range, but where I'm living now range really isn't an issue. I park less then 50 feet from my apartment. To be honest all i need is start and stop, so if the DEI Valet is a decent unit then I'd rather go with that and save some cash so I can put more money towards mods . I don't need any other bells and whistles, lol Thank you for the suggestion I may just get that

Old 06-28-2009, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by labnjab
I've always been curious, what do they actually consider professionally installed? I was going to install it myself and I'm ASE certified in electrical. Would they consider that professional? or do you need to be approved by them
A professional install is done by an authorized dealer. The 500$+ price tag includes in the install at the shops. Well online you can easily find one for half that price, which doesn't include the install.

Even if you take that one you buy online and have it "professionally installed" you still won't get the lifetime warranty because you didn't buy from them.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:00 AM

Thank you for the information

Old 10-26-2009, 06:30 AM

I know this threads really old, but I finally installed a remote starter this weekend in my JR car. I went with a Bulldog Security Model RS82B. It came with everything built in including the security bypass and installation was a breeze. Its just a basic start/stop and I got it for only $45 at Walmart. Actually I got it fro free. My neighbor bought a used chevy truck and wanted me to install a remote start, so I told him if he bought a starter for him and me, and gave me enough money for dinner out, I'd put it in for him.

It took my less then 2 hours each to install on each vehicle and works great. It has about a 400 foot range which is plenty for me. It also has the ability to let you start it with your factory keyless entry which I plan on trying to get fiquered out at a later date. I think all I have to do is wire it into the power lock circuit.

Now I don't have to go outside early to start the car in the am to get the windows defrosted

Old 10-27-2009, 12:20 AM

All you got to do now is remember to set the defrost and the heater controls to hot. I was good at forgetting last winter and my windows would still be full of ice and snow when I went out to the car. Not good.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:35 AM

LOL, i do forget sometimes. I'll probably leave the heated seats on too. I wonder if there's a way to get the rear defrost to kick on too?

I'm getting a service vehicle soon light after using the starter a few times. I read on alldata the SVS light is for body and non-engine codes so I hook up the tech 2 and sure enough I have 3 body codes. One for the parking light circuit, one for the lock circuit and one for key in ignition circuit high.

I unhooked the parking light wire and door lock wire from the starter and those 2 codes go away but I still get the key in ignition circuit code, which is no big deal because it doen't set the light and clears immediately after using the key.

Hooking the parking lights back up isn't a big deal either because 9 times out of ten when I start it, its dark enough for the headlights to kick on and thats confirms that it has started.

What I do want to do is hook the wire back up to the door lock circuit because that allows me to start the car with the factory remote, but I don't want the SVS light to come back on. Has anyone else had troubles with body codes after hooking up a remote start, and if so is there a way to trick the pcm?

Old 03-20-2010, 09:18 AM
Default Remote Start

I have a 96 Monte Carlo Z34 I got some keys cut for my door yesterday but it doesnt work on my side probably because the lock is broken. So who do I need to go to to fix that and also is it possible for me to get a remote start for my 96 or just the door lock remote?

Quick Reply: Remote Start