Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Default Remote Start

I'm planning on installing remote start on our 04 SS Supercharged by winter time. I called the dealer and they said it didn't have factory remote start. Nothing fancy, just start and stop. I'm a certified mechanic and I've installed them myself on my past 2 cars, plus several on customers cars. I didn't really like the 2 I had on my last Bonnies. The one on my 94 bonnie (i think it was a directed electronics) had crappy range and the one on my 99 bonneville (astrostart) also had bad range and was a pain to program

What are some recommended basic remote start systems and security bypass modules? Mainly I'm looking for one that has a somewhat decent range and that just starts and stops the car and is simple to program. Hopefully something under $100. Thank you for any suggestions

Old 06-07-2009, 01:26 AM

I dont think your ganna find a whole lot for under a grand but I sell autostart units there fantastic and have a lifetime warranty. But make sure you dont go to the american site go to autostart.ca its the canadian one there units are better, and for bypass modules ide suggest going to flash-it.com they make bypass modules its whats in my car I think the part number is FLCAN

Old 06-08-2009, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by red03ssmonte
I dont think your ganna find a whole lot for under a grand but I sell autostart units there fantastic and have a lifetime warranty. But make sure you dont go to the american site go to autostart.ca its the canadian one there units are better, and for bypass modules ide suggest going to flash-it.com they make bypass modules its whats in my car I think the part number is FLCAN
My 2006 Monte Carlo did not come with the remote start feature, I have heard some things that you can buy a module that will add this feature, I am not totally sure on this. My buddy said his brother did it on his Avalanche however I am not to sure if he was correct on this.

I know I would have to get the new keyfobs as well. Anyone have any idea about this?

Old 06-08-2009, 10:33 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Take it to a dealer or call a dealer and ask them to run a check for you. if your car is already equipped with an extended range sensor, then they can easily add remote start to your car with a computer and just sell you 2 new fobs already configured for around $100

Newer cars only, so my 00 didn't qualify, and my parent's 06 came factory installed. but worth it to see. All they will need is a code out of your trunk I believe, so it can be done over the phone to find out if your car is eligible.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:46 AM

I gave 2 dealers a call, but they said the 04's didn't come with factory remote start. I'll check out the autostart website. Thank you

Old 06-08-2009, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
Take it to a dealer or call a dealer and ask them to run a check for you. if your car is already equipped with an extended range sensor, then they can easily add remote start to your car with a computer and just sell you 2 new fobs already configured for around $100

Newer cars only, so my 00 didn't qualify, and my parent's 06 came factory installed. but worth it to see. All they will need is a code out of your trunk I believe, so it can be done over the phone to find out if your car is eligible.

Very cool, I will give them a call this week sometime and find out.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:26 PM

I got a viper installed in my 05 LT

2way 1 mile range

Old 06-24-2009, 10:07 PM
Old 06-25-2009, 08:15 AM

I like Compustar. Definitely more than your $100 budget. Awesome alarms though.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:52 AM

hows this one? only $17 more then the viper and free shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/Compustar-1W900F...QQcmdZViewItem

Now I'm on the fence, lol. I like them both. I'm gonna order this afternoon so please help me decide, Thank you

edit: Here's another compustar for a little less http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

Last edited by labnjab; 06-25-2009 at 11:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Remote Start