Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Remote amp wire

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 07:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Remote amp wire

anyone got any suggestions for a good wire to tap into for the remote turn on for my amps/processor? I ran a wire to my sunroof fuse in the fuse box by the passenger foot-well and it's a constant power source. I'm REALLY hesitant to mess with anything in the steering column, or near the airbags too. ideas?

Old 02-17-2011, 07:32 PM

their should be one in your deck, if not you can use a running light from your tail light. just make sure to use a relay if your tapping into a circuit design for something else, dont wanna put extra current on another system. their should be one in the stock harness where the stock amp is, it should be active. just take a meter and go to town.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:49 PM

o yea, forgot to mention--7th gen, using the factory radio, and no amp in the trunk. . . . where would i grab a meter from? that like a menards/home depot thing?

Old 02-17-2011, 08:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

use the one straight off the back of the ignition, or use one off a rocker switch

Old 02-17-2011, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
use the one straight off the back of the ignition, or use one off a rocker switch
I never liked rocker switches, because you can forget to turn them off.

yes, just find a meter at a home debot, somehting that checks voltage, and find a hot line that turns on with the car, than wire that to a relay and your golden, like i said, a running light should do the trick. their should be a running light in the tail light, just dig around in their, turn off and on the car see which one gives 12 volts when car turns on.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by walkingonabullet
I never liked rocker switches, because you can forget to turn them off.

yes, just find a meter at a home debot, somehting that checks voltage, and find a hot line that turns on with the car, than wire that to a relay and your golden, like i said, a running light should do the trick. their should be a running light in the tail light, just dig around in their, turn off and on the car see which one gives 12 volts when car turns on.
kinda sounds like a personal problem? haha jk i always forgot to turn mine off too, but its always an option also

Old 02-21-2011, 07:35 AM

Accessory - Brown / + / At BCM Green Connector Pin 21

Thats only the real place to get it from. The BCM is the brains of all your electrics if you are not confortable splicing into this wire then take it to a shop. The BCM wires are a very small gauge and easy to cut. You cut it your in a world of hurt.

You can get to it by removing the side cover from your dash(drivers side) or remove the forgaurd from under thedash that has the OB2 plug and the light. The BCM when uncliped will sit on the floor for eaiser access.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:17 AM

alright, I've installed a few systems, a couple in my cars and 4-5 for friends so i'd say i at least know what i'm doing, BUT now you're making me doubt myself. lol why would cutting an accessory wire put me in a world of hurt? If you clip it, couldn't you just splice it back together and it's good as new? (figuratively speaking)

--The accessory wire won't be a constant source and will only turn on only when the vehicle's on right? (just making sure before i go snippin wires)

Old 02-21-2011, 10:33 AM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

I use the power window relay behind the panel on my passenger side foot well. When I am able to use my windows, I am able to use my stereo. Good luck.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:46 PM

alright, i've got my dash appart and still haven't found that "magical" wire. I'm trying to stay away from a rocker switch because that'd be one more thing to turn off when i'm parkin the car. i grabbed a volt tester and put it to the harness behind the radio and the only wire i could get to give me a response were the red and black (for obvious reasons). I tested a few connections in the fuse box under the hood and in the passenger footwell. I found the green plug and the brown wire but haven't been able to test it because it's EXTREMELY hard to get to, and "bonang" made me kinda worried about tapping into it. I tested the window fuse in the passenger footwell and it's constant as well. I was gonna hook it to a power wire from one of the lights by your feet but they come on and off whether the vehicle's on or not. It's getting insanely frusterating and i was just wondering if there are any other suggestions before i continue to pull out my hair. . . .

Quick Reply: Remote amp wire