Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Rear-view camera installed & more mods!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 10:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by walkingonabullet
that line up from kenwood is one of the few decks i trust 100% i do not trust their amps any furhter than my arm can throw them because their junk and thats what you do with junk haha

what year was that monte and did you use a switch for the camera or did you tap into the reverse wire, and if so where is it? because i wanna put a reverse camera in but idk where the wire is and i dont wanna tear into any harnesses blindley
This is a 99 Monte, I do believe you have a 6th gen? Also I tapped into the reverse wire which you can get to (at least on the 5th gen) by pulling back the lining of the trunk to expose some wires. You can easily followed the wire from the reverse lights into the trunk and then tap into them there

Old 03-24-2012, 10:06 PM

Old 03-24-2012, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by zzapultimate
This is a 99 Monte, I do believe you have a 6th gen? Also I tapped into the reverse wire which you can get to (at least on the 5th gen) by pulling back the lining of the trunk to expose some wires. You can easily followed the wire from the reverse lights into the trunk and then tap into them there
i knew that method id prefer running it off something closer but that does seem to be the least invasive method and yeah i have a 6th gen.

what camerea is that ? ima guess its one of kenwoods

Old 03-24-2012, 10:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sweet mods man ive had my camera installed for a few months now and its been holding up really well!
really comes in handy sometimes

Old 03-24-2012, 10:52 PM

i knew that method id prefer running it off something closer but that does seem to be the least invasive method and yeah i have a 6th gen.

what camerea is that ? ima guess its one of kenwoods
Nope I got it from ebay for $15 bucks

Old 03-25-2012, 02:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by zzapultimate
Nope I got it from ebay for $15 bucks
$15 lol might have to look into one! Of course I'd need a new headunit too though Looks pretty cool at night though

Old 03-25-2012, 04:11 AM

dam paul some nice work im gunna have to drive up to iowa so i can copy your setup in my 99 as well

Old 03-25-2012, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS
$15 lol might have to look into one! Of course I'd need a new headunit too though Looks pretty cool at night though
their are back up systems that have little 3" screens too. back up cameras aren't expensive at all. you can get em anywhere from 15 like him to 170$ tops usialy and the 170$ units are the pioneer and kenwood ones, but most are 45-75, and a few in the 100 range. you can get pinhole cameras, license plate ones. the real problem is knowhing how to do it or having the cash to pay somebody to because they are a pain in the *** to hook up.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:11 AM

Did you use resistors on the led's?

Old 03-25-2012, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by shotime105
Did you use resistors on the led's?
The LED's came pre-wired with resistors.

their are back up systems that have little 3" screens too. back up cameras aren't expensive at all. you can get em anywhere from 15 like him to 170$ tops usialy and the 170$ units are the pioneer and kenwood ones, but most are 45-75, and a few in the 100 range. you can get pinhole cameras, license plate ones. the real problem is knowhing how to do it or having the cash to pay somebody to because they are a pain in the *** to hook up.
I got a license plate one, and honestly it was pretty easy to set up. The hardest parts war running the wires. I snuck in the rear view camera lights through a hole I drilled behind the tail lights so you can't see it. Then just run the wires up to the head unit running the same path as my RCA cables for my AMP.

Originally Posted by BlownUptoHigh
dam paul some nice work im gunna have to drive up to iowa so i can copy your setup in my 99 as well
Anytime Where are you from?

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS
For the price, it's a easy mod!

Quick Reply: Rear-view camera installed & more mods!