Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

radio took a crap

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 07:05 PM
Default radio took a crap

I have a 01 monte carlo ls, why did my radio just all the sudden stop working, it lights up and i can turn it of and on, so why is it not working?.....Thanks, phil

Old 12-24-2007, 07:09 PM
Default RE: radio took a crap

hey, welcome to the forum. Lemme do what I can to get some things outta the way for ya...

you told us it lights up and appears to be functional, but no sounds comes out?

what might have happened is the speakers were somehow damaged, or possibly the connection going to them from the radio. did you buy your monte used? how long have you had it?

Old 12-24-2007, 07:14 PM

Radios are really cheap on epay if you can't get it going.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry to hear you have problems.Sometimes they do that. I never got my factory deck to work when we put it back in the dash of my '01 SS LE. I ended up selling it with a Pioneer deck with an XM tuner.
Check all of your connections, including the amp under the window tray in the trunk, if you have one. Check the fuses. Two suggestions. 1. Either find a used deck just like the one you have or 2. Put in an aftermarket deck like an Alpine or Pioneer. You'll be MUCH happier with the performance of the aftermarket deck, especially if you change your speakers to 3 or 4 ways, also. The factory decks didn't impress me. Mine is in my trunk so I can easily access the computer, but honestly, I wouldn't do that again.
Merry Christmas Phil

Old 12-24-2007, 07:19 PM

Well, i have had it for 3 years. This is what happend, i was driving down the road and it started to fade in and out, like the antenna was lose, i reached up under by the floor board and everything was fine, then all the sudden i lost everything for a week, then bam it came on again for 2 minutes and then i never heard it again. I hear this is a problem with these radios going out but im not sure if it is the amp, radio or what. I mean TAPES, C.D, AND AM/FM DONT WORK....mAYBE YOU HAVE HEARD OF THIS BEFORE.......sorry about the caps.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:23 PM

Hey wayne, Merry christmas to you to, Thanks......So if i do an alpine, what kind of harness do i need? Also do i put the stock radio in the trunk for the controls to the computer?..Thanks Phil

P.S love the rims on the monte what kind are they and size?.....Thanks

Old 12-24-2007, 09:56 PM

www.crutchfeild.com should be able to tell you what harness your going to been needing. as for waynes SS, if I remember correct those are 18" Eagle 077's?

Old 12-25-2007, 06:30 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks Phil, The wheels are chrome Eagle Alloy 077's, 18x8" with BFG G-Force KDWS tires. Discount Tire had the best price and selection, altho they had to be ordered.
If I had to do it over, I don't think I would put the radio in the trunk, as you can reset the monitors without it. Just make sure the personal settings are where you want them. If you want to change them later, just unplug the aftermarket deck and hook this one up, change the settings, and re-connect the deck in the dash.
As for extras, you will need a remote mount cable if you DO put your deck in the trunk, a steering wheel control module, and an Onstar module with an extra 3" speaker under the dash to handle the door chimes. You need this ONLY if you want your door and warning chimes. The only thing you REALLY need is the steering wheel control module.
Get a deck powerful enough to eliminate your amp, as that will be useless now. The factory decks really ARE crap. They have to use an external amp to function.
If you can afford it, get some new speakers, even Wal-Mart ones are better than what's from the factory. At least the 6 1/2" door speakers.
Make sure your new deck is XM and Sirius ready. I have both, and Sirius is WAY better, but because of the merger, we'll see what happens.

Old 12-25-2007, 05:45 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

sounds like seomthing isn't grounding right