Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Radio pass code

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 07:41 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Question Radio pass code

Would anybody know best way to get pass code to radio? If I disconnect battery my radio will be "locked out". My old car (1999 Z34) had pass code inside manual.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:27 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Is this the original factory radio? If so, you should be able to disconnect the battery and the radio will not lock.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:37 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Yes it is the factory radio. That would be good news! My 1999 Z34 would "lock" until I would put in code. First owner wrote code in manual so that is how I knew code. I guess I could get it at dealership too???
I just was wondering because if I did need to replace battery; I would know.

Last edited by Huckster; 02-05-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:55 PM

Not sure on your specific car but delco radios have (idiotically) that lock out feature if the power is cut from them. I have a 97 sierra that I have had this happen to. The dealership I called wanted me to bring it in and charge $50 for the code. I was persistent and finally got them to tell me. The dealership has to call delco and enter their dealership info (some dealer #) into the automated phone system to get the code. I have watched them do it. I lost the code the first time so while I was at another dealership for a different car I asked the service manager to get it for me he obliged. Hopefully it doesn't happen to you this time around. If it does I would try the old code first. Might just work and save you some leg work.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

The '97 Seirra was an older generation of the GM TheftLoc.

I believe all '00+ Montes have the next generation. The next gen radios are programmed for your car (requires a Tech II to change this). It only goes into "locked" if you install in another car OR the security system has an issue (normally BCM problem). Disconnecting/replacing/draining the battery will not lock out the radio.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:14 PM

That's good to know...because that has to be one of the worst designs I have come across.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:30 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Thank you too! Hate to go to the Dealership if I don't need to.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:13 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I bought a used radio from a 2001 Impala yesterday and put it my 01 Monte SS. It locked. I watched this video on YouTube and removed the chip. Now it works like new!

Old 10-05-2014, 12:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

There are a couple things to point out about the video you posted autout.
First, the guy made mention to pushing buttons, getting codes and colling GM. THe is for the previous generation of GM radios with TheftLoc. The radio generation he was working with can only be unlocked properly by using a GM Tech II scan tool.

The good is obviously the radio powers up and plays.

The bad is that in some cases, the radio requires additional programming to support wheel controls or an uplevel sound packages (so you can adjust mid along with treble and bass). Again, only possible with a GM Tech II.

He tested that the radio played, but I'm curious of the non-radio interfaces (resetting the TPMS, Oil Life and Key Fob options) still work with removing that chip.

I went through a lot of radio reading looking to put an MP3 factory radio into my '04 Monte (an option that was on the cavaliers, venture vans and some trucks in '04 but NOT the 00-05 Montes and Impalas). I was finally able to do it with some help (it can only be the MP3 radio from the Venture and Cavvy and even though GM did not offer it, the TechII will unlock it and program it).

Hopefully that video helps others, just be cautious, there may be other issues not mentioned.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:02 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I will let you know if I have any such issues. I just know that I had a lot of security and other issues with the old radio.

Quick Reply: Radio pass code