Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Radar Detector

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010 | 05:37 PM

I used a hard wire kit from Ebay, very cheap and work pretty well. My Cobra radar detector is a cheapy I picked up, heavily discounted at an Academy Sporting Goods store a few years ago. It was a display model...kinda scuffed up, but paid like $40 for it.

Like ToasterLocker said earlier, these only work for those Officers who leave their radar "on" instead of "hold". Laser radar of course is another matter and I seriously doubt any Laser detector could give you enough warning to slow down in time. Just my experience...yea I'm an Officer, so I know all the tricks!!

Especially, in construction and school zones, SLOW down. Our traffic Officers sit up, just wanting for you to blast through and NAIL you with an EXPENSIVE ticket. Also, pay careful attention to those roads where the posted speed limit drops dramatically, for seemingly no reason. Like if it's 70mph, and you see a sign that says, "55mph zone ahead", SLOW immediately. You are entering what is referred to as a speed trap. Just some local jurisdictions way to replenish the city cofers by citing in-transient drivers.

Good luck...

Below is a pic of my set up. I like it up high, out of sight of thieves, but easily reached to turn down the volume if necessary. The antennae is just below the eye brow tint. I ran my power wire up above and tucked it in the headliner, and then down the A pillar, using a pop sicle stick to push the wire out view. I tapped into the cruise control fuse, if I recall. Just ground the wire marked +, and wrap the other end around the exposed "leg" of the fuse. The gently push the fuse back into it's place. Mine's worked like a charm for about 18 months of so with no problems whatsoever.

Yea, I'm an Officer, but I don't like getting stopped either, so I run a radar detector. Around here, the HP like to harass all the other agencies Officers when they are off-duty. I can't imagine how they treat regular citizens...

Attached Thumbnails Radar Detector-user5767_pic1846_1248214734.jpg  

Last edited by hctr154; 07-06-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-06-2010 | 07:54 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
10 Year Member

Here is pics of my set up

Old 07-09-2010 | 05:41 PM

we pulled a great move putting one in a 04 grand prix comp g. we removed most of the dash and hid the cord like crazy. all you can see it a strange little plug in going into one of the cig lighters hahaha. when i get me a new one that is going to be done on the z34