Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Premium System Details

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 12:31 AM

I'm sorry but I have never seen anyone compete in SQ comps with stock speakers, let alone place well. Are these sanctioned shows or just Joe's audio shoot-out from down the street?

If you're replacing head unit/amp/speakers at the same time then why are you worried about the stock speaker rating? What should dictate the wattage of ur speakers is the amp you have to power them, or vice versa.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:40 AM

^ agreed.

i understand you don't wanna back peddle, but nothing after market is gonna be under what stock puts out. premium isn't really all that premium lol

Old 07-19-2011, 10:15 AM

na cuz the stock speakers r pretty good. they get a nice db. and i was gonna buy like 30 or 40 dollar pioneers so i thought that if they were so cheap they maybe below the stock. but i decided too go with some good 300 watt pioneers 6.5s and then 500 watt 6x9s and my friend is giving me an 800 watt amp. and a satellite and hd ready mp3 and ipod ready pioneer head unit. can u guys help me out with the wiring requirements? what will i need?

Old 07-19-2011, 02:47 PM

genraly, anything after market is above stock, even usialy better than a boss system. because their so tailor built. i mean, we aren't talking about the stock system in the mustung GT, which is a high end mchantosh system.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by 02monteman02
na cuz the stock speakers r pretty good. they get a nice db. and i was gonna buy like 30 or 40 dollar pioneers so i thought that if they were so cheap they maybe below the stock. but i decided too go with some good 300 watt pioneers 6.5s and then 500 watt 6x9s and my friend is giving me an 800 watt amp. and a satellite and hd ready mp3 and ipod ready pioneer head unit. can u guys help me out with the wiring requirements? what will i need?
There is a noticeable improvement to be had just by replacing the stock speakers, even if they're 4 ohms. Huge difference! But I guess depending on your exposure to other products, they could be pretty good in comparison. But they get a good db huh?

I tried to tell you in my previous post but you didn't seem to get it so I'll give it one last shot.

Your speaker wattage rating will dictate what amp you should use or if you get the amp first, it will dictate what wattage rating your speakers should have. Just because a speakers is rated for more wattage than the next doesn't mean it's better than the lower rated speaker, not even almost. Also, you seem to think you've got a perfect match since your 6.5's are 300 watts and your 6x9's are 500 watts (total of 800 watts) and your amp is 800 watts. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that those ratings are max ratings, which mean absolutely nothing. So those 6.5's rated for 300 watts, are really 150rms, 75rms each speaker. And those 6x9's are really 250rms, 125rms each speaker. And your amp is hopefully a 4ch and most likely is rated at 100rms x 4 @ 4 ohms but the fact that it advertises it's max rating tells me that you'd be lucky if you got 75rms out of it. Amps that boast of their max rating rarely make their rated power because they are very low quality pieces.

So lucky for you that should be pretty good for the 6.5's but just over half of what the 6x9's are rated for. It's not the ideal setup but I've seen worse. I'm not trying to rag on you, just trying to teach you the ropes and help you learn what to look for and pay attention to when matching amps/speakers. I've run some off the wall brands in my vehicles before and know that it can still be made to sound good but you're gonna have to make sure your amps are tuned properly and your install is solid or it'll sound horrible. I used to have a car back in the day that had a Koiiler 4ch, Power Acoustik sub amp with Kenwood DualMag mids/highs and MTX subs and my system wasn't the loudest by far but damn it sounded clean! I used to get so many compliments on how good my system sounded that it brought me joy to see the look on people's faces when I told them what crappy amps I was running. Half of them didn't believe me so I had to show them.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:27 AM

haha i havent bought anything yet, im still looking around. i wasnt planning on spending a lot of money on it just enough to get a little bit better speaker quality i most likely am going to buy a 1000 watt speaker amp and prob some 800 watt 6x9s and better 6.5s i dont want to put to much money cuz when i go to college my parents r giving me theyre 2008 bmw 330xi so ill b upgrading. foor now i just wanted some nice speakers in it to have the best sound system out of my friends. and to learn to do it. and my friends systems suck my stock beats all theirs by far. right now though im in the process of installing the head unit and getting a new deck for the back speakers. like the piece or cardboard tht covers them, once im done ill be looking into some better speakers and amps and stuff depending on the quality my headunit makes them

Old 07-20-2011, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by 02monteman02
haha i havent bought anything yet, im still looking around. i wasnt planning on spending a lot of money on it just enough to get a little bit better speaker quality i most likely am going to buy a 1000 watt speaker amp and prob some 800 watt 6x9s and better 6.5s i dont want to put to much money cuz when i go to college my parents r giving me theyre 2008 bmw 330xi so ill b upgrading. foor now i just wanted some nice speakers in it to have the best sound system out of my friends. and to learn to do it. and my friends systems suck my stock beats all theirs by far. right now though im in the process of installing the head unit and getting a new deck for the back speakers. like the piece or cardboard tht covers them, once im done ill be looking into some better speakers and amps and stuff depending on the quality my headunit makes them
I give up

Old 07-20-2011, 12:05 PM

thanks for the help tho lol

Old 07-20-2011, 02:27 PM

I look forward to seeing how things turn out with your 800 watt 6x9's and better 6.5's on ur 1000 watt amp, just imagine the db that setup is gonna get!

Old 07-20-2011, 05:49 PM

sarcastic?

Quick Reply: Premium System Details