Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   Premium System Details (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/premium-system-details-29611/)

02monteman02 07-17-2011 12:44 AM

Premium System Details

I have a 2002 monte carlo with the premium bose stereo system. i was interested in upgrading my speakers, but i dont know how many watts the premium ones are and i dont want to downgrade to a lower wattage. does anyone know the wattage for the front 6.5s and the 6 x 9s help. i do have the bose premium system with the amp

red04montels 07-17-2011 01:02 AM

i think they are in the 20-30 watt range if not less, usually when getting aftermarket speakers they will sound bad with the stock amp so you will want to upgrade to an aftermarket amp also for the best sound

BlarneyStone13 07-17-2011 08:04 AM

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, but a lot of people are quick to change the speakers to get better(well louder) sound. Bose makes very nice, quality, and expensive speakers. If you aren't looking to spend too much money on a complete system I would start with changing out the amp. I have seen people place pretty well in competitions using factory speakers they got from the junkyard . The most important thing is the power given to the speakers, and the setup of the amp to the speakers.

02monteman02 07-18-2011 01:08 AM

i am buying an 800 watt amp from my friend but ive been told because the amp is directly connected to the radio/ head unit itself theres no way for me to just change the amp. i am getting a new head piece. but why has the guy at one stop told me this do i need any extra wires or harnesses or anything for the amp if i only change the amp. and yea theyre pretty loud banging speakers.

bbengineer 07-18-2011 06:25 AM

Just an FYI, the 00-05 premium system isn't Bose. There was no Bose option until 2006. The factory speakers are either 2 or 4 ohm so look at the magnet to see which one.

You can benefit greatly from new speakers as the factory one are pretty mediocre

BBEngineer

02monteman02 07-18-2011 10:56 AM

yea i am upgrading all of my speakerrs to pioneer. and the head unit.

Milhouse 07-18-2011 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by BlarneyStone13 (Post 343115)
THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, but a lot of people are quick to change the speakers to get better(well louder) sound. Bose makes very nice, quality, and expensive speakers. If you aren't looking to spend too much money on a complete system I would start with changing out the amp. I have seen people place pretty well in competitions using factory speakers they got from the junkyard . The most important thing is the power given to the speakers, and the setup of the amp to the speakers.

The premium system in the 00-04 Montes isnt Bose, not sure about the later years though. But the factory speakers that come with the premium system are cheap, paper cone, foam surround drivers that are actually alright given the power level of the factory system, but just dont cut the mustard when given real power. Also, the amp has circuitry built in to it that attenuates the bass when the volumes gets turned up past a certain point, this is not a feature thats liked by people who are upgrading their system.

Because of that, I think you should upgrade the amp and speakers at the same time. If you just do the speakers, you will notice an increase in sq but it wont be as loud, unless you use 2 ohm speakers.....but then that dramatically reduces your selection of speakers to choose from. Doing just the amp would be a problem because of the power level the amp would do at 2ohms.....you could adjust the gain down to acommodate though if you're set on going that route. But imo, you will notice a better sq increase by upgrading ur speakers first.

But as far as wattage rating, thats not nearly as important as sensitivity.....the sensitivity of a speaker is pretty much its efficiency rating.....the higher the sensitivity the less power it takes to move the cone. With the low power level the amp puts out you really want an efficient speaker. If you had two speakers rated for 50rms but one was rated at 92db sensitivity and the other at 82db sensitivity, the one with the higher sensitivity would be noticeably louder on less power and since the premium system puts out about 25rms per channel thats exactly what you want!

walkingonabullet 07-18-2011 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by BlarneyStone13 (Post 343115)

what comps you going to :wtf: I've never seen stock speakers at a comp :rotfl:

02monteman02 07-18-2011 08:12 PM

haha yea guys im uprgrading all of my speakers at once plus the amp and headunit pretty much a full new pioneer system except im buying subs later on. i was only wondering about the stocks becuz i didnt wanna go out and buy a pair of pioneers that were less wattage and power than my stocks. thanks for the help

jaws2008 07-18-2011 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by 02monteman02 (Post 343549)
haha yea guys im uprgrading all of my speakers at once plus the amp and headunit pretty much a full new pioneer system except im buying subs later on. i was only wondering about the stocks becuz i didnt wanna go out and buy a pair of pioneers that were less wattage and power than my stocks. thanks for the help

Cool..:cool: