Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Playing Burned CDs

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

make sure not to burn them as an mp3 or usb disc.

disc color doesn't matter, you can use CD-R or CD-RW... they should work fine, it's just the write type that matters.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

I don't want to sound redundant, but...

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
The music is uncompressed wav in the .cda format.
Originally Posted by 03SSLE
The music is uncompressed wav and burned to the CD in .cda format.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:47 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If it does end up being your factory stereo. The similar looking factory stereo from either the Cobalt or Cavalier (can't remember which) is a direct fit that also plays CD's burned in mp3 format. And you also retain all your car's systems functionality. Like resetting warning lights and OnStar and such.

What program are you using to burn your CD's?

Old 06-24-2012, 02:45 PM

I use Itunes to burn all of my CDs and my Monte plays all of the burned CDs I've tried.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

I didn't read the whole thread, I'm in the car and watching fast five :p

Sounds like you have an issue with your CD player then if you're doing everything right.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014

Easiest fix for your unit would be to hook up an MP3 player (via the radio unless you have an AUX button) and be done with it... Good luck...

Old 06-24-2012, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Taz
If it does end up being your factory stereo. The similar looking factory stereo from either the Cobalt or Cavalier (can't remember which) is a direct fit that also plays CD's burned in mp3 format. And you also retain all your car's systems functionality. Like resetting warning lights and OnStar and such.

What program are you using to burn your CD's?
Thanks for the tip about the other factory players. It would be nice to keep the ability to reset/program the features, but if I end up replacing the unit I'll probably just dig a little deeper into my pocket and install a touch screen.

So far I've tried Windows Media Center, Nero, Express Burn, ImgBurn and CDBurnerXP. I've used both CD-RW and CD-R discs made by Memorex, Sony, Verbatim and HP that stated they would work for both music and data. I have also tried Memorex and Sony discs that specified on the label they were for music. I've tried burning the CDs on one computer that is running XP and another that is running Win7.

Originally Posted by trewyn15
I didn't read the whole thread, I'm in the car and watching fast five :p

Sounds like you have an issue with your CD player then if you're doing everything right.
No problem...I just figured it was easier to quote instead of typing it again. I'm going to try cleaning it and see if that does the trick, but if not it very well may be a weak laser. I've been poking around a few audio sites and through process of elimination I'm down to a dirty or weak laser in the unit.

Originally Posted by Crusader SS
Easiest fix for your unit would be to hook up an MP3 player (via the radio unless you have an AUX button) and be done with it... Good luck...
No auxilliary input on my factory unit but thanks for the suggestion.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:57 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If it was me, I'd try cleaning it just to see if it works. If not, I'd just spring for a new system with a touch screen. The factory stereos in these 6th gens limit you to playing one CD at a time. You can only fit about 12-20 songs on a CD. Who wants to keep changing CD's all the time? Go with a new system that lets you store your music, or at least lets you plug in your ipod.

At this point, fighting to fix your factory stereo problem is like trying to fix an 8-track tape player. (look it up on google)

Old 06-24-2012, 04:21 PM

Yeah, I'm going to go out and clean it in a little bit and see if that does the trick. If not I'm just going to bag the idea and start stashing some more coin away for a new unit.

Originally Posted by Taz
At this point, fighting to fix your factory stereo problem is like trying to fix an 8-track tape player. (look it up on google)
Ahhhhh...nothing like good old Hi-Fidelity sound. I sure miss having my favorite song fade out half way through...CLICK-CLICK...then fade back in. I have to admit though the 8-Track was a lot better to listen to versus the radio.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:02 PM

SUCCESS! The sun finally dried things up enough around here to venture outside. I ran my cleaning disc through the unit a couple of times and now my CDs play!

Quick Reply: Playing Burned CDs