Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Pac Adapters

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 01:11 AM
Default Pac Adapters

Hello all,

What model PAC adapter do I need to keep steering wheel controls/chimes and install an aftermarket head unit in my car. I have a new radio for it, as well as subs and amps. I just need to know which model PAC adapters I need. The car does have OnStar even though it's not currently activated. I basically just want the car to function as it is now, just with a new radio. It's a 2005 MC LT. Thanks!!

PS I need the model numbers so I can price shop. Thanks!!

Old 01-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Default RE: Pac Adapters

Hi,

This is what you need to keep the chimes. You may have to contact the maker of your Deck to see what adapter they offer for the wheel controlls.

Problem: Installing an aftermarket receiver in some 2000-up General Motors vehicles with OnStar means losing OnStar functions, as well as other audible safety warnings.

Solution: Metra's GMOS-01 GM data bus interface lets you replace the factory receiver in these vehicles while keeping OnStar, along with the door chime and audible safety warnings. Hook the GMOS-01 to your aftermarket radio, mount the module, and plug it into the existing factory plug. Get the great sound you want, and keep all important safety features intact. And you can adjust volume settings for OnStar as well as the safety chimes.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:18 AM

HAHA after searching for more info fo ya I found this:

You want to install a non-factory replacement radio in your vehicle, but you hate to give up the convenience of your factory steering wheel radio controls. No worries! PAC's SWI-X interface allows you to use the steering wheel controls in a wide variety of vehicles to command any aftermarket radio with wireless remote capability.
Installation is straightforward — just connect a few wires (a 3-wire hook up in many cars). Programming is made easy with step-by-step LED confirmation. Once connected, the SWI-X's failsafe memory will learn up to 12 functions from your receiver's wireless remote, retaining them even if battery power is interrupted. Dimensions: 3-3/4"W x 1-1/16"H x 1-9/16"D. 1-year warranty.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:10 PM

Thanks for the help dude, now my only question is, I bought a Farenheit TID-580 Double Din Head Unit, will this unit work with the Steering wheel control adapter? Also I was told at a local audio shop that I needed the GMOS-04 for my 2005 MC, because it had an amp and onstar. What do you think?

-Anthony

Old 01-08-2008, 07:26 AM

Problem: Installing an aftermarket receiver in some 2000-up General Motors vehicles with OnStar means losing OnStar functions, as well as other audible safety warnings.
Solution: Metra's GMOS-01 GM data bus interface lets you replace the factory receiver in these vehicles while keeping OnStar, along with the door chime and audible safety warnings. Hook the GMOS-01 to your aftermarket radio, mount the module, and plug it into the existing factory plug. Get the great sound you want, and keep all important safety features intact. And you can adjust volume settings for OnStar as well as the safety chimes. Also, once you turn off the ignition in these GM vehicles, the radio continues to play until you open the door. This interface maintains that function with your new aftermarket radio. This interface is compatible with select 2001-and up GM vehicles.

Note: The GMOS-01 will not work with factory-installed Bose car audio systems

So what the local shop said is true, you will need this rig.

Problem: Installing an aftermarket receiver in many late model (2000-up) General Motors vehicles means losing ONSTAR system functions, the Bose amplified speaker system, audible safety warnings, and the chime that warns the door is open.
Solution: Metra's GMOS-04 GM Class II data bus interface lets you replace the factory receiver in these vehicles without losing these functions. Connect your in-dash receiver to the GMOS-04 interface's RCA input jacks. You'll get the great sound you want, and keep these important features intact. The Bose amplified speakers and the ONSTAR system will operate with your new radio, as well as the door chime and audible safety warnings.Also, once you turn off the ignition in these GM vehicles, the factory radio continues to play until you open the door. This interface maintains that function with your new aftermarket radio. This interface is compatible with select 2000-and up GMC, Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, Cadillac, Pontiac, Isuzu, and Hummer vehicles.

The Wheel controll, that may be tricky. The PAC's SWI-X interface is designed to adapt to the remote. So as long as there is a remote with this head unit the PAC's SWI-X interface should work. This box basicy acts like a remote and turns you wheel controlls into a remote.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:50 AM

Great! This is starting to sound more promising now. I order the GMOS-04, I'm expecting it to arrive any day now. And I will be order the SWI-X once I get contacted back by Farenheit. However the head unit did bring a remote, so I believe it should work. But we shall see. Thanks for all your help with this, I'll keep you guys posted on how this comes out.

-Anthony

Old 01-08-2008, 02:14 PM

Great to hear. As far is the remote. The PAC unit should work. From what I read that as long as you have a remotw with the deck your using, you can program this PAC unit to do some fuctions of the regular remote. Eg Volume, skip, and what ever else is on your wheel controls.

Keep us update with the install pics.