Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Opinions On Integrated Chimes/Steering Wheel Controls

Old 12-30-2011, 04:03 AM
DTG
Exclamation Opinions On Integrated Chimes/Steering Wheel Controls

hey all I was just wondering how important or not important it would be to keep the chimes, im looking at putting a pioneer avh-p4200dvd in place of the stock unit, however as best as I can tell if you want steering wheel controls and chimes you need 2 seperate adapters for this, the gm factory integration adapter and the axxess adapter, 100 for the gm and 70 for the axxess, both prices seem a little steep even seperate but 170 together seems like way overboard on price, opinions would be appreciated. mostly what I would be interested in is the steering wheel controls still working.

Thanks

Old 12-30-2011, 07:08 AM

I got an aftermarket radio/amp installed and the mechanics didn't hook up the steering wheel controls or the chimes.

Honestly, the steering wheel stuff isn't that big of a deal as long as you're willing to reach down and change the controls yourself - that's just a matter of personal preference. To me, I find it annoying that there are controls on my steering wheel at all if they don't work, so I'm going to get that fixed this summer.

As for the chimes - again, you probably won't be too bad without them. That said, there are times when I forgot to take the parking break off before trying to move or I didn't realize a door wasn't all the way shut. If I had the chimes, noticing these things would be much easier, but if you can adapt, I'm sure you won't have a problem.

However, I plan on getting the chimes fixed at the same time I get the steering controls fixed. I want to sell my car in a few years, and I think that the next buyer would probably like everything to be in-tact electronically.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:23 AM

i only have a LS so i dont have steering wheel controls but i also dont have chimes. which never bothers me. i like not having them actually. usually the only time it will come in handy is if you leave the keys in the ignition and lock the doors. all the warnings show up on the dashboard.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:41 AM
DTG

thanks for the replies, ill surely be looking to have the steering wheel controls at least done, tossing around a few different adapters right now for that, it almost seems like they are stealing from us charging so much much for these integration adapters though ha ha