Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

OEM Radio w/RCA outputs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 09:19 AM
Default OEM Radio w/RCA outputs?

Okay, so my brother in law has a '99 S-10 with a STOCK radio identical to mine in my Z34 and he is running an amp and subwoofers off of this unit. He told me that the radio came stock with RCA outputs in the back. I think he's full of crap. I have been searching and searching for a GM Theftlock radio identical to mine with RCA's built in--NO LUCK. Now, my radio as well as his has the auxillary input for a CD changer...is that an output and input or just an input? I would like to run my amp and subs off from my stock unit (so I don't lose my steering wheel controls) but I need RCA's. Thanks for your time, everyone!

Old 03-29-2008, 07:09 PM
Default RE: OEM Radio w/RCA outputs?

we really need to make a sticky on this.

OK here we go.
Go to a radio shop of your choice.
ask them for a HIGH/LOW Converter. This gives you RCA hook ups .
you take the rear speaker wires in your current hooked up stereo and wire tap them and plug the hig/low converter in to them

Now you just need to find a remote wire hook up so tha tyour amp knows when to come on and go off.

go to the fuse pannel in your car and find anything that has a key on power supply to it.
somethign like your Radio fuse will work.
tap in to the fuse pannel for power and then run the wire to the amp.
now hook your RCA's up to the amp and add the subs to it and make sure tha twhen you put the converter in the car you crank up the power adjustments on it mos tof the time they are turned all the way down and you might think it is not workign but it is.
then you can adjust your amp to compinsate for any of the distorion for it if there is any at all

This will allow you to keep your steering wheel controlls and the factory head unit in the car and all will work like it dose now but it will have more bump in the trunk!!

If you want to chang ethe head unit out . then you need to get a interface for G.M. that will hook in to the wireing harness of the car and the radio this will learn the functions on the steering wheel controlls and you will also retaine them with a after market unit.
the interface can be bought at the same radio shop as above mos tlikly or Crutchfeilds has them for sale to . most of the time for like 30-50.00

Old 03-30-2008, 12:00 AM

Thanks, Mickey! I appreciate your help.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:29 PM

no prob.
this is just the easiest way to do it that i know of.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:10 PM

It probably is. Again, I appreciate your response!

Old 04-08-2008, 12:00 AM

Yep, what Mickey said. It's what i've done and now I enjoy listening to music in my car for a few reasons, firstly when a potential theif looks into my car it looks all stock so unless they know I have a system they'll move on. Secondly, even though i'm not getting the maximum SQ out of my setup, it still sounds pretty damn good especially when you consider what I've spent on it.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:41 AM

Yeah I don't have anything special, and I want to retain the stock look because it is a dang good anti-theft device. ) I have a Sony Xplod 500w 4 channel amp and two 330w Sony Xplod 10" subs...I had it in my old car over a year and a half ago, and it sounded great inside and you couldn't hear it outside the car...which is how I like it. It works for me and that's all that matters.