Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Audio/Video Build: new stereo = wiring harness questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 08:57 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default new stereo = wiring harness questions

GOAL: Putting aftermarket subs, amp, and head unit into 01 Monte Carlo SS. Want to be able to use steering wheel controls and be able to still do all the warning light resets etc the factory head unit had control over - and I don't care about OnStar.

QUESTION: What do I need to buy to achieve this? I've never replaced a head unit that had control over anything like resetting the message board/warning lights, and I've also never had steering wheel controls before... I drive old vehicles haha

Also I guess i'll be needing a dash mounting kit for a single din unit? and ideas what to use the extra din space for?

What I got so far:
Brothers old subs and amp, they get transfered from car to car as we go because I can't afford to buy newer ones and these do the trick. The SS will be the 3rd or 4th car they will be used in.

Name:  75_19518475240_8486_n_zpse440eda0.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  54.1 KB
Name:  75_19518465240_8095_n_zps6ef092e2.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  51.0 KB

I bought a
*Pioneer DEH-X6500BT *Pioneer DEH-X6500BT
* for my last car and would really like to reuse it in this one.

Reading other threads and the *
GMOS-01* GMOS-01*
wiring harness seems to be popular. What exactly does it do? allows my aftermarket head unit to be able to do all the things the stock one could do like message center resets? and would I need something else to get my steering wheel controls back or does that handle that too?

Lot's of questions but I really hate listening to the radio! this will be the first thing I do come summer time. THANKS IT ADVANCED !

Old 01-18-2014, 11:21 PM

no one? : (

Old 02-20-2014, 06:41 PM

bummmmmmmmmmp

Old 02-21-2014, 05:43 AM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015

Ok for the steering wheel controls you will ends a PAC. I think what it is called. If you go on crutchfield.com you can enter in all your information and find out what wiring harness you need and what steering wheel control harness you need. You don't have to buy it on that site it is just to show you want you need. For the dash kit you can get that at walmart for like $10 just look for the gm one with the 2000-2005 Monte Carlo. That's the one that works for this car. Any more questions just ask and good luck

Old 02-21-2014, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Scott 05
GOAL: Putting aftermarket subs, amp, and head unit into 01 Monte Carlo SS. Want to be able to use steering wheel controls and be able to still do all the warning light resets etc the factory head unit had control over - and I don't care about OnStar.

QUESTION: What do I need to buy to achieve this? I've never replaced a head unit that had control over anything like resetting the message board/warning lights, and I've also never had steering wheel controls before... I drive old vehicles haha

Also I guess i'll be needing a dash mounting kit for a single din unit? and ideas what to use the extra din space for?
I'm not familiar with the 01, Mine is an 06 and a very complicated stereo install. When mine was new, I had to wait till they invented the modular harness.

If there are driver info display built into your factory head unit, there is an aftermarket solution to replace that. If door/key/light chimes are built into your radio, there is an aftermarket solution for that. Same with steering wheel controls.

Metra dash kit is easy to look up.
I used a Soundgate LANSTAR1 harness (now $80, I paid $180)
I installed 2 separate speakers under the dash for OnStar and chimes.
I use a PAC SWI-Alpine, And its programmable, you'll need the pioneer version.
My Installation took 3 relays, big power wire, big Caps, main fuse + distribution fuse block, plus distribution ground block.
I upgraded power wires, called the Big 3 on the audio forums.
I've upgraded a few times since 06. Added Bluetooth and HD Radio, then my last head unit swap was for iPod integration. My iPhone has replaced my CD Changers.

If you're not familiar with any of this, you could go to a good install shop and let them do it. Bring a few paychecks.
Or join the car audio forum and ask for help.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:04 PM

Aha Those look like a IB set up. I havent had experience with 02 models really, I did before but i cant remember. When i go home ill look

Old 05-23-2014, 10:12 PM

okay think im getting the following let me know if anything is wrong please, it all checks out with my HU and car so all should work I think

Robot Check Robot Check

Robot Check Robot Check

Robot Check Robot Check

Robot Check Robot Check

Old 05-24-2014, 10:11 AM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015

That all should be good for you to use.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:54 PM

good to hear, was only concerned about the main wiring harness, the whole non amplified thing got me a little concerned is all because I will be using an amp but yea pretty sure it still checks out - should be getting my car back soon and then i get to do the install just in time for summer!

Old 05-31-2014, 05:27 AM

A lot of cars come with factory amplified units for the speakers. It's separates the frequency range for each speaker. When you hook up the wire harness connect solid blue to the solid blue on The radio harness. You can still hook up hour remote wire to the solid blue but that will turn on the factory amplifier

Quick Reply: Audio/Video Build: new stereo = wiring harness questions