Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

need woofers

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 03:08 PM
3 Year Member
Default need woofers

I really want to add some subs to the monte. Nothing crazy but something to add some bass that you can actually hear. What i want to know is what is needed for it to be done with the factory unit?

Old 11-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

you can convert the signal from a rear speaker to rca then just run to an amp to a sub. what is your definition of a little bass, if you just want some simple bass you could just get new speakers, the 6x9s can be upgraded for some decent bass off an aftermarket amp.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by novagenesis300
I really want to add some subs to the monte. Nothing crazy but something to add some bass that you can actually hear. What i want to know is what is needed for it to be done with the factory unit?
You're going to need the following:

Subs
Amp
line out converter
amp wiring kit
speaker box
Sound deadening material

The last item isn't a necessity but it sure helps lessen the obnoxious rattling subs can induce.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:43 AM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

You can buy a JL Audio Clean Sweep for factory integration for the Stock Deck. But I would recommend the Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.2 that is an outstanding unit and works great for factory integration.

What price range you looking at for subs. You would need an amp to power them as well. Are you looking to upgrade the speakers in the car as well. I would recommend 10s or 12s for subs.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:42 PM
3 Year Member

Thanks guys. I know how to put subs in an aftermarket unit cause i have done it in my beretta. Just wasent sure how the amp input would work on a factory deck. So you saying that all I would need to do for an input line is to splice off of the rear speaker wires in some rca's?

Old 11-03-2010, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by novagenesis300
Thanks guys. I know how to put subs in an aftermarket unit cause i have done it in my beretta. Just wasent sure how the amp input would work on a factory deck. So you saying that all I would need to do for an input line is to splice off of the rear speaker wires in some rca's?
Yup, that's how you would get the signal from the deck to the amp.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:34 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

^^^ I wouldnt recommend it that way though. As you have no control over the input to the amp and you will have much distortion. 1. Interference into the system. 2. Distortion from the factory deck. A factory deck has many extreme highs and lows in the frequencies of sound replication. A unit like the JL or RF one I recommended earlier flatten out the frequencies to create better sound. And they will allow you to control the input into the amp.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by jaws2008
^^^ I wouldnt recommend it that way though. As you have no control over the input to the amp and you will have much distortion. 1. Interference into the system. 2. Distortion from the factory deck. A factory deck has many extreme highs and lows in the frequencies of sound replication. A unit like the JL or RF one I recommended earlier flatten out the frequencies to create better sound. And they will allow you to control the input into the amp.
LOL!

You are absolutely right that a CleanSweep or 360 would sound better than simply using a LOC. I have no experience with the JL product but am pretty familiar with the Fosgate offering. I know the Fosgate product is multiple products in one, line driver, signal processor, LOC, EQ, Xover, etc. But more on that later.

Very few people have systems where they can control the input to the amp, running a system like that is called running "active". That pretty much means the signal processing is done before the amplification gets done. So in an active setup the sound processor will get the signal from the source and will do all sound processing including determining what frequencies will be sent to which speakers and then once the processing is done the signal will be passed on to the amp and which will amplify only the frequencies given to it from the processor. While systems like this give the end user way more control over the sound, they are significantly more difficult to tune especially for someone who have very little experience with audio systems. And we haven't even gotten to time alignment yet.

I've run systems via LOC's numerous times and have NEVER had interference or audible distortion and I guarantee you you wouldn't be able to hear it either if I was to let you listen to either of my setups without telling you which one was connected via LOC. As for the deck putting out extreme high/low frequencies, none of that even matters because the amp will dictate which of those frequencies gets sent to the subs via xover and subsonic filter settings so that's completely irrelevant.

Would I suggest this guy get a 360 for his system? Nope. If he's got to ask what's needed to connect an amp to his deck them i'm pretty sure he's hasn't gotten a very good grasp on xover frequencies/slope/time alignment and would probably **** his pants if given a 30 band EQ and told to tune his system. Not only that but these things are not cheap, we're talking over $400. I'd say slightly overkill for a system with a stock deck, stock interior speakers and a little bit of bass.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:50 AM
3 Year Member

buying the JL or rockford unit is out of the question. At those prices i would be better off buying a new headunit.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

well if your not looking for anything too super hard hitting you can do the splice, because if its not too loud you wont be noticing any of that distortion as much as you would with something big like a higher level jl sub.

if your looking for something smaller look into some lower end kickers. do you have a best buy near by?

if so i would go there, take a cd with music you listen to and dont be afraid to turn it up. then just sample the subs and see what you like best. write down that information, sub and amp, then bring it here, we will help you find best prices and maybe an amp or sub based off of those that you may like better or a better price.

Quick Reply: need woofers