Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

my new 12's

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 02:45 PM
Default my new 12's

well they finally have come in and everything is in but the only ****ty thing about it is brakeing them in...when do u guys think is a good break in period??

Old 04-13-2008, 09:35 PM
Default RE: my new 12's

Those look nice in there. I didn't even know subs needed broken in, but then again I bought mine from a friend so they were already used.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:25 PM

that is a sweet lookin set up ya got there!!! Just curious how bad you suffer from the "trunk farts"?? I haven't dun much stereo work in cars in a few years (used to be into the mini-truck scene).

As far as break in goes, the only thing i can really say is CRANK THAT SHIOT UP!!! A good sub-woofer shouldn't need any "break-in" period.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:34 PM

alot of people tell me to let them break in for a bit... but they already pound and there at 200 watts already and thats only half way..i can't wait then im gonna hook it up another way so i can get more power out of them

Old 04-14-2008, 10:57 PM

ORIGINAL: paddock

A good sub-woofer shouldn't need any "break-in" period.
That's a hot topic is the 12v community, some enthusiasts say yes, others say no. Who knows? How do I know if I should "break in" a sub? I read the owners manual and if it says to do so then that's what I do. If it doesn't say to do it then it's ***** to the wall as soon as the last wire is connected. Kicker is one company that recommends a break in period, and we all know they're a reputable maker of quality car audio products.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:18 PM

yea good point there...i would think its better of to then u dont have to worry about anything happening....like they can't blow if u dont have them real loud but i would rather them break in
alot less thing to worry about

Old 04-18-2008, 10:30 PM

I was told when I bought subs to break them in for about 2 weeks of daily driving. just keep it not TOO loud and youll be fine. granted, keep in mond to keep them well below the RMS, not by how it sounds.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:33 AM

is that fiberglass???

Old 04-19-2008, 09:53 AM

ORIGINAL: vita

I was told when I bought subs to break them in for about 2 weeks of daily driving. just keep it not TOO loud and youll be fine. granted, keep in mond to keep them well below the RMS, not by how it sounds.
Myself personally, I don't believe in the break in hype, and this is why. The act of breaking in a sub is basically to loosen up the spyder and suspension components of the sub so that it can reach its full Xmax, or maximum linear excursion. This will happen, naturally, as the sub is played so I don't see a need to do anything other than play it as you normally would. The expectation is that after the suspension has been broken in that the sub will have stronger bass performance, smoother response and greater low bass extension. But again, this is a naturally occuring process under normal conditions and useage so I wouldn't worry about it at all.

This is pretty much the same as with deep cycle batteries. Off the shelf they don't have the maximum capacity, they reach that after about 15-20 cycles. So when I put a new set of batteries in one of my patients' power wheelchairs, I don't tell them to go home and charge and discharge their batteries until they've reached 20 cycles, I just inform them that once they reach that number of cycles under normal useage that the batteries will be fully broken in and activated and will provide the full capacity.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:18 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

NICE! Is that a box, or a panel? What are you using to power them?