Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Is my factory GM radio XM Ready?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Is my factory GM radio XM Ready?

Do I Have XM Radio on My Factory Radio?

I just recently purchased a 2007 Chevy Monte Carlo LT. I previously had a 1995 Lincoln Town Car that had a add on XM Radio setup that was screwed onto the dash, I miss my XM Radio, however I can't bring it to myself to screw the XM Radio mount to the dash of my new car as the interior is virtually brand new.

Now my question is: Does my factory radio have XM Radio or XM Ready??

The reason I am confused is that:

1.) I had the windshield replaced and was told that I have an antenna in the windshield for my Onstar, one in the rear window for the radio and the shark fin on the rear top of the hood (supposedly for the XM Radio).

2.) The fuse block has the fuse installed where the XM Radio fuse should be. I unplugged the fuse and it doesn't power the radio in the dash and in the owners manual & the diagram on the fuse block shows it is for XM. Don't think that the factory would install a fuse into the fuse block if it didn't go to anything.

3.) Also, when I am listening to FM radio and if I press the "CAT" button on the radio, it says it is a "XM Feature". However, when I press the band (or source) button on the radio (or steering wheel) it cycles through AM-FM-CD-AM-FM-CD, etc.

So do I have XM Radio, is it XM Radio Ready, am I missing the XM Tuner or what??? Any ideas???

If it is the case of needing additional equipment, what would I need and where is it installed in the vehicle?? Is it something that I can install??

If I am missing the XM Tuner, I seen one on ebay for a 2008 - 2009 GM (Chevy) car not sure of the model of the car it is from, but the PN is 15270316 and the Delphi PN is 28036548. Would this work in a 2007 Chevy Monte Carlo??

Also, where would the XM Tuner be installed on the 07 Monte Carlo?? Or where should it be installed if I don't have it so I can find out if there is a pig tail there for installation???

Also, I heard from one person that my radio would need to be programmed to receive the XM is this correct??

Thanks for your help,

John

Edited to add: I didn't have the XM receiver. I did pick up one off of ebay and was able to add it in, plug and play style (after changing the shark fin antenna and running a new antenna wire). So while my head unit was XM Capable, I was missing part of the package.

Last edited by jthorpe; 03-20-2023 at 03:41 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:20 AM

Hi `John,
XM was a option on the 07 Monte
Audio systems on the 2007 Monte Carlo feature new, simple-to-operate radios that are compatible with the OnStar system. The base setup comes with six speakers and CD/MP3 capability. A Bose system with eight speakers is available. Order XM Satellite Radio and you get a two-line, 32-character reconfigurable display and the capability to select between AM, FM and XM stations without having to reset the frequency. An in-dash six-CD changer is also available. All radios include a standard auxiliary input for external devices, such as an iPod or MP3 player, to be played through the vehicle's audio system. The input is located in the lower right corner of each radio.
http://www.automotive.com/2007/43/ch...ior/index.html

Source link
__________________________________________________ __
Hi `John,
Check back on your Thread & check to see what our
expert Radio Tech's post on how to install XM.
Good Luck & Happy `Tunes

Old 04-26-2010, 07:42 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

I just use the fm module, and mount the radio onto the vent, no screws.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:24 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by jthorpe
Also, where would the XM Tuner be installed on the 07 Monte Carlo?? Or where should it be installed if I don't have it so I can find out if there is a pig tail there for installation???
I have the XM module in my 2006. It's in the trunk on the right side (I think.. the other side has the On Star module) behind the liner. The RPO code is U2K (look for it on the sticker on the trunk lid.

The barker channels are active and ask me to subscribe.

Old 03-19-2023, 04:40 AM

Hello John. I am experiencing similar issues with my 07 MCSS radio. Last week I had my blend actuators replaced. When I got my car back from the shop the radio would only toggle between FM & AM. The CAT button would show " XM Feature" like you described. My XM was working fine prior to dropping my car off at this particular shop. I see the XM module in the trunk and the shark fin in still attached to the roof...What did you do to resolve your issue? Hopefully it was something simple and something I can do myself. Ultimately, I'm taking my car back to them so they can resolve it.

Old 03-19-2023, 07:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by cellman26
Hello John. I am experiencing similar issues with my 07 MCSS radio. Last week I had my blend actuators replaced. When I got my car back from the shop the radio would only toggle between FM & AM. The CAT button would show " XM Feature" like you described. My XM was working fine prior to dropping my car off at this particular shop. I see the XM module in the trunk and the shark fin in still attached to the roof...What did you do to resolve your issue? Hopefully it was something simple and something I can do myself. Ultimately, I'm taking my car back to them so they can resolve it.
This thread has been inactive since 2010 and sadly so have been most the people who were involved with it.
Looking at your issue, my first thought is perhaps something was unplugged when the dealer serviced your actuators. Not sure if the 06-07 Monte is the same as the 2000-2005 (I am doubting it is), but there is a connector agents the passenger side of the body of the car, just under the glove box. It is a 4 or 6 pin connector if I recall and it is for XM to get to the radio. My guess is that was unplugged (again, assuming the 06-07 Monte is the same and I am doubting it is). It might be worth checking fuses to ensure the fuse powering the XM receiver is good. But ultimately, I would contact the dealer and say "this worked before service and now it stopped, take a look and ensure something during service did not cause this".

Old 03-20-2023, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member

I was doing that, but didn't like the look of it and how the wire ran down the dash, etc. Plus not having it switched with the key was another issue. I ended up getting a add in receiver that plugs into the in dash radio and was good to go (after changing the shark fin antenna and running a new antenna wire).

Originally Posted by Enzo354
I just use the fm module, and mount the radio onto the vent, no screws.

Old 03-20-2023, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member

I didn't have the XM receiver. I did pick up one off of ebay and was able to add it in, plug and play style (after changing the shark fin antenna and running a new antenna wire).

Old 03-20-2023, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member

I'd take the car back as it was working before and isn't now... Not sure what they did. Mine was missing the XM Module. I was able to pick one up for my car off of ebay and it was basically plug in play (basically installing it between the factory harness and the radio, changing the shark fin antenna and routing the new XM Radio antenna wire to the front dash).

Not sure if this would have any effect, but have you checked the fuses for your radio and XM... I know in the 07 Monte, there's an XM fuse in the passenger side floor side panel.

Old 03-20-2023, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member

Mine was totally missing the XM receiver module, however my radio still said "XM Ready" or "XM Feature", don't recall off hand. I did pick up one off of ebay and was able to add it in, plug and play style (after changing the shark fin antenna and running a new antenna wire). As I stated in a reply, I don't know if the XM fuse located in the bottom passenger side fuse panel would cause this or not as I believe the head unit would still read XM Feature.

I also agree that it should be taken back to the dealer.

Quick Reply: Is my factory GM radio XM Ready?