Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Maing my own sub box

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 12:02 AM

You don't need any cross overs. Your amp most likely has one built in anyway that will do anything you'll need it to for this setup.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:49 PM

another thing to remember the bigger the box is the louder the system will be, and with a sealed box it takes more power to make the subs get loud, and with a ported box the subs can move more freely, which means it takes less watts to make subs pound. my 15 inch sub is in a 4.4 cubic ft ported box. if anything just use only 2 tens in a ported box, because i would bet money that 2 10s in a ported box would get louder then 3 10s in a seal box, with half the watts. just something to think about.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Justin
another thing to remember the bigger the box is the louder the system will be
This couldn't be further from the truth. Ever been to an spl competition? The guys running 2 sub setups don't have massive boxes, they generally have smaller boxes than the manufacturer recommends for their subs because their goal is to get loud, not be acurrate and musical.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:16 AM

another thing to remember the bigger the box is the louder the system will be
Like just posted above, this is only true in a very general sense. Yes, generally ported boxes are larger when geared towards SPL, but they are also tuned very differently when max output is the main goal. An enclosure intended to reproduce music instead of test tones is tuned quite differently.

Ported boxes are more efficient though, in that it does in fact take less power to get the same output, but their construction is a lot more complicated. The OP never mentioned wanting a louder setup anyway.

Long story short, larger boxes do not automatically mean more output.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by 04MonteLS
This couldn't be further from the truth. Ever been to an spl competition? The guys running 2 sub setups don't have massive boxes, they generally have smaller boxes than the manufacturer recommends for their subs because their goal is to get loud, not be acurrate and musical.
i have been to them and ive been in them, i competed for a few years one year with my monte and 2 years with a 93 hatch back mustang. and its the other way around they generally have bigger boxs then whats recommended. and the big boys that do it, and they have there boxs tuned for only one note and thats where they get loud. i might not know that much about cars but car systems is my thing. check out http://www.usaciworldfinals.com/ you havent seen a system till you been to this. where they might have a million dollars tied up in just the system not even counting there car.

Last edited by Justin; 12-17-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:51 AM

but for sound quality systems then using a smaller box, is what is recommened because then the bass is more clean and it doesn't over power the other music, like the mids,highs.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:26 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

more space=more dampening of sound

smaller the box the more air that will be forced out at once along with sound waves creating more noise

Old 12-17-2009, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
more space=more dampening of sound

smaller the box the more air that will be forced out at once along with sound waves creating more noise
lol thats so not true, look it up. i know hes not asking whats louder. but a smaller box does not "make more noise the a larger one" a small box is good for higher frequency music like you rock and metal stuff, and larger boxs are good for your low frequency "the bass that shakes the car next to you" As a rule of thumb, big woofers need big boxes. And big woofers in big boxes need big ports. Hands down, ported boxes will get a LOT more output since the port effectively doubles the volume of air the speaker moves around tuning frequency. Of course the tradeoff is you need a LOT of space for the box. Ported boxes are always bigger than sealed for the same woofer and the port itself eats up a lot of volume. Also, bigger boxes will play louder (due to acoustics of speaker/box systems), big boxes with ports and powerful speakers require a lot of port area for the port to function effectively, and big area ports must be longer, and thus take up even more space.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:25 AM

i competed for a few years one year with my monte and 2 years with a 93 hatch back mustang. and its the other way around they generally have bigger boxs then whats recommended. i might not know that much about cars but car systems is my thing.
With all due respect, for someone who claims such experience and expertise you seem to be quite misinformed. But i'm not going to argue with you, I'll just let Jacob from Sundown Audio explain it......

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/s...A%252d12.html#

Maybe you should email him and let him know he's giving out bad info and explain to him how it's done.

but for sound quality systems then using a smaller box, is what is recommened because then the bass is more clean and it doesn't over power the other music, like the mids,highs.
By your logic, only subs in big boxes can drown out mids and highs, while subs in small boxes can't. I don't think much more needs to be said.....

Old 12-18-2009, 04:10 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

so come to find out cuz i got my subs for free they are 3 12" subs...the only prob is that the are 4svc and not 4dvc so to wire all three makes them run at 1ohm which my amp says it can handle but it would prob end up destroying it,,,so i am only going to use 2 subs wired for 2 ohms.....here is the subs and amps i am using

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-eZsg4ac...KAC-9103D.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Se9Q93D...nce-1240w.html

i obv should use better subs but hey i got these (3 of them and a box) for $100

Quick Reply: Maing my own sub box