Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

last Sub question(i HOPE)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 06:40 PM
Default last Sub question(i HOPE)

Hey fellas im hoping to order my sub tonight. i got everything picked out. just not sure on the wiring kit. Im very new to subs so im not sure what im looking at gauge wise. ill post the links to my sub im ordering and the wiring kit.

BULLZ AUDIO EPAK8BL 8 Gauge Amplifier/Amp Wiring Kit - eBay (item 350408051571 end time Apr-25-11 11:39:15 PDT)

ALPINE SWS-1243D 12-INCH CAR AUDIO SUBWOOFER 4-OHM SUB - eBay (item 280420979212 end time May-02-11 13:04:19 PDT)

Let me know if i have the right idea here. i have an amp already i just need to get this last part done. Also if anyone has to link to take the back seat completely out so i can run wires that would be fantastic!

Thanks!

Old 04-24-2011, 07:38 PM

whats the amp you have and whats its rated power, you genraly want 2 ohms on a sub amp, almost all amps run down to 2 ohms and they generaly run 2x the power at 2 ohms than they do at 4 ohms. for you to get the 2 ohms at the amp, you'll want 2 of those subs, wire them black toblack, red to red, and than white black to - on the amp and red to + on the amp and you'll be at 2 ohms at the amp but that all depends on your amp because you may have 2 ohms resistance at your amp now but you might not have enough juice flowing out of the amp to power 2 of them.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:26 PM

unfortuently i dont have my amp with me. its a boss amp rated at 600watts(max) i think? okay i dont really want 2. i just want some extra bass. so i found this sub that is only 2ohms is that gonna work better?

ALPINE SWS1223D CAR AUDIO 12" SHALLOW MOUNT SUB WOOFER | eBay

Old 04-24-2011, 08:55 PM

thats dual 2 ohm, so you can either get 1 ohm or 4 ohms out of it, or 2 if you have 2 of those.

I suggest getting a new amp, and selecting a dual 4 ohm alpine type R. you'll be much happier with a new amp.

also what kind of deck are you running this off of are you going to run it off stock? i suggest a bass processor if your just gonna use converters.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:07 PM

okay so that wont work at all either then? i was looking at the type R its little more money but its got alot more wattage. im trying hard not to spend a small fortune. ill try to get my hands on that Boss amp tommarrow and see what its got. i have an Alpine ida-x303 head unit.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:55 AM

its not that it woudln't work, i just know you wont be happy and that you'll end up just adding a bunch of noise to your system with that boss amp. its gonna be horible dirty wattage, theirs clean power and than theirs dirty power.

something like this would be awesdome for a single type r

Alpine MRP-M500 Class D Monoblock Amplifier (MRPM500)

just make sure you get the right sub, you want the dual 4 ohm

Alpine SWR-1043D 10" Type-R Car Subwoofer/Sub (SWR1043D)

you can still go ebay thats fine, just make sure you get the right stuff

something like this would work too

Kicker ZX400.1 (10ZX400.1) Class D Mono Amplifier Car Amp

MTX Audio RFL600D Class D Monoblock Car Amplifier/Amp

those are just some examples. wht you're looking for is roughly 500 rms, it can be 600, it can be 400, just roughly, the sub its self is rated at 500 rms, and 1800 peak which means it can take small bursts of 1800 watts, which that MTX claims to do 1600 bursts, so you're sitll in the green with that. idk how clean the MTX is but that and the alpine are the two i'd personaly consider. the alpine amp is pretty much designed for that sub. the mtx will sound good too, but will likly have a bit more power

oh and for the kit make sure you run AT LEAST 4 gauge wire. don't run 6, it's just not worth the time and effort :P 4 gauge gives you the option to add a 4 channel amp later for the speakers.

Last edited by walkingonabullet; 04-25-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:00 AM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

The original sub he picked out is a dual 4 just like you suggested.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:31 PM

i am a perfectionist when it comes to my car. so i dont think i would like that dirty sound or whatever. i just want some extra bass is all. not going be doing any competitions. i have seen that alpine amp quite a few times and have heard some good things about it. okay so between the dual 2 ohms sub and the 4 ohms. which one is better for a single sub application? i wont be adding any more. i would already have a lot of money in the system just for a DD. i appreciate the help walkingonabullit cause clearly i have no idea whats what.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:09 PM

dual 4 ohm is best for single sub application sir, and i guess i missread and the origonal type r you found was a dual 4. so thats fine but i still highly suggest a different amp. after more thought, i really like that MTX, they have good stuff, and that seems ot be the best bang for the buck, the alpine wont let ya down either though i love alpine amps my self. i have their PDX amps, great stuff. suppose space comes into question too the alpines better for potencial growth as it saves space. but as far as one sounding better than the other...with subs not really gonna be a factor.

i'm not trying to make you feel dumb at all, what you had planned would of worked. it just woudlnt of left you happy

Old 04-25-2011, 03:21 PM

allright that works for me! im gonna upgrade the amp then. may not be right away but i still have to get a custom box built. and get all this stuff ordered. ONE last question lol. on the wiring kit. i want 4 gauge or less(or more)? so i dont want 8 gauge? or say 10?

oh iknow man. i appreciate the help big time. i gotta learn sometime!

Quick Reply: last Sub question(i HOPE)