Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Infinity Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 03:37 AM

Oh, I missed the part where he had already picked the speakers, the reason why I asked what his intentions were, and for that I apologize to the OP.

Although the previous class D amps weren't as good as the A/B amps due to their lack of negative feedback/distortion, the newer designs (like the JL and Alpine that use the newer icepower design class D amp from Bang & Olufsen using faster switches and better feedback techniques) have low pass passive filters/LC filters that diminish the QE noise, distortion from EMI and allow the amp to reproduce the output signal almost as a replica of the original input signal.
I happen to run a newer D for my components and 6/9, the difference is night and day, and I get almost 0 distortion (you can't even hear the amp turning on like with the average A/B). Sound reproduction is great and would recommend them to anyone who will listen.

A/B amps have a tendency (the cheaper ones) to pick up engine whine do to their big power transformers and poor shielding. The good A/B amps, the ones that minimize Xover distortion and make use of better negative feedback methods, will still deliver noise/distortion and their size makes them too bulky, compared to the D class amps.

He can still go with a D with his choice of speakers, albeit one matching his speakers, and get a much smaller, efficient, and better sounding amp.(In this we'll disagree all day long ).

We could go on with this back and forth, but opinions abound, and ours differ, ! Besides, better is relative!

Last edited by Wilco; 12-13-2009 at 03:45 AM.